Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My WiFi says weak security, how do I correct this

I have Xfinity wifi lately when I connect it tells me weak security. How do I correct this

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 1:26 PM

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 1:26 PM in response to jer1pennic

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

Feb 26, 2021 1:27 PM in response to jer1pennic

And here’s a specific answer from Xfinity:

How to correct issue with iOS 14 update error message weak security if you have xfinity?

• Login: xfinity.com
  • Click: password (show pass)
  • click: edit Wi-Fi (in upper right corner)
  • Click: security mode (bottom corner)
  • Enter: WPA2
  • Click: apply changes
  • you may want to restart your device after, it should remove weak security.

Thanks to Babykat50

My WiFi says weak security, how do I correct this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.