Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This is an email I received. Is this spam.

Case Number: 100122819527Hello Susan,

This is Tim with Apple. Our records show you had a previous AppleCare Repair that we need to speak with you about.

I will be giving you a call on Monday March 1, between 11:00am-1:00pm Central Time.

If this time does not work, please reply to this email. Please note that the days I'm scheduled to work are 9:00am-6:00pm Central Time, Monday-Friday.

I will get back to you by the next day I'm in the office. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Tim

Apple

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:24 PM

11 replies

Feb 26, 2021 5:09 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Well, your name is not Susan and you didn't say anything having a service repair so I wouldn't take it either if I were you.

But when Apple does email regarding service they do address by by the name you have on file (in my case it is "D" and they do list your correct repair ID. As I said in my response if that IS her name as on file with Apple and she DID have a case with Apple that matches that service number there is no reason to not take the call, no arm will reach through the phone and grab her and steal everything. And as I said she can ask the person calling pertinent questions about her repair. If they aren't answered to her satisfaction then hang up.

If her name on file is Susan, and that is her case number and that is a spam call then Apple has had a major security breach that needs to be attended to.

Feb 26, 2021 5:14 PM in response to deggie

I just received an email from an investment company I deal with. The email was addressed to Bob (my name). They wanted me to call them about my account. You are saying I should call the number in the email? I'll do so right now. Thanks for the confirmation that the email is likely OK because it is addressed to my first name and I deal with them.

Feb 26, 2021 5:20 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Did it also have a transaction number that you started with your bank? If yes, then sure call them. I have received a similar email from Apple regarding a service case from Apple telling me they were going to call me. Call it a courtesy email. It listed the name they have on file for me AND it included the correct service case number. Which is why, again, I asked if it was the name on file with Apple (Apple does not send emails that say "Dear Customer" or "Dear <email address" AND if she had a previous service case that matched that number. In your scenario you only have one item, your name. So you are saying if someone gets an email from Apple that matches their name on file and has the correct service number those are fake? Again, wouldn't that be evidence of a breach? How would the spammer have both items.

If the OP is not Susan (or that is not how they are on file) and has no repair case (or at least that one they can safely ignore the call when, and if, it comes in.

Hope you understood my post this time and that I was referring to 2 factors in the email.

Feb 26, 2021 5:30 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Who said anything about calling a number? The email says that the person will call the OP, not the other way around, there is no phone number listed to call. This is normal for that type of email. I never advised the OP to call any number, I just said answer the call when it rings. But only if those two items I mentioned are correct.

No, I'm not really trusting but then again you seen to want 6 factor or something authorization. Or perhaps Apple should call and say we are going to send you an email that we are going to call. Since we aren't dealing with calling a number in an email the argument is moot. But they could if they wish, since the person provided their working hours, call Apple at their listed number, provide the case number and be transferred.

And yes my financial advisor has sent me an email and told be to call him at his new number (they had changed them. I called and it was him. No calamity befell me.

Feb 26, 2021 5:37 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I'm not sure how it is more cause for concern. There was an issue once when I had a laptop repaired that they discovered about 2 months later. I received an email like the one laid out here that had my correct name and case number. They did call (I had to turn off silence unknown calls) and they explained the problem to me and wanted to discuss the various option. I did ask the person to give me the serial number of my MacBook Pro which was correct and they were aware of previous discussions I had prior to the first repair.

Once way, way back I got the same type of communication only it was a snail mail letter to advise me they would be calling.

This is an email I received. Is this spam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.