Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant stopped working...

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me please?

I’ve started the process of migrating my old iMac to a new one and it seemed to be going ok. I went through all the steps, even choosing a new password. It’s connected to my WiFi but as it started to transfer over it just stopped.

Where it said it’s connected by WiFi it now says currant connection: switching.

The blue line has moved about 3mm on both screens, but no files have transferred in over 5 hours.

So I’m not sure what to do now.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:41 PM

Hi Janette29,

Migration Assistant over WiFi fails almost 100% of the time and is very unreliable. If you can, cancel the transfer, and either connect your Time Machine backup drive to the new iMac and transfer, if you have one, or use Migration Assistant, using an ethernet cable to connect the two Macs.

Cheers,

Jack

7 replies

Feb 26, 2021 3:03 PM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I pressed cancel on both screens and my old iMac seems to have gone back to how it was, but the new one got me to sign in and then set up my iCloud.

Can I still use the migration assistant and ethernet cable to transfer the rest of my files over?

If so, do I plug the ethernet cable directly from one to the other?

Thanks...

Migration assistant stopped working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.