Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 + iPad Air 4: Squeaking

Hi!

I just today received my new iPad and apple pencil, after upgrading from an iPad air 3 and apple pencil, mainly due to the faff of charging the pencil via lightning. I've discovered a horrible squeaking sound when using the pencil on the screen and as someone with noise sensitivity issues, this is a big problem.

I'm a student and using the pencil is totally necessary for me so i can't go without it, and I also use programmes such as procreate for art. I'm very concerned as I have read that this could be due to the anti glare screen coating, and cant seem to be rectified. Does anyone have any tips or ways to reduce this (screen protectors etc)?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:35 PM

You might consider using a good quality tempered glass screen protector. In addition to providing a smooth surface over which the Pencil tip will glide, the additional glass layer will protect both the original anti-reflection treatment - and the sacrificial oleophobic coating that will otherwise wear-out over time.

Zagg are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 3:35 PM in response to crayonsncrime

You might consider using a good quality tempered glass screen protector. In addition to providing a smooth surface over which the Pencil tip will glide, the additional glass layer will protect both the original anti-reflection treatment - and the sacrificial oleophobic coating that will otherwise wear-out over time.

Zagg are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Apple Pencil 2 + iPad Air 4: Squeaking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.