Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

health app calorie counts don’t add up

This is turning into a real annoyance. Again and again at the end of the day, my Active Energy count is lower than the calorie count in Move on my watch.

Today for example, Move shows 1,145 calories and Active energy shows 1,010 calories. Yesterday the difference was 1,215 versus 1,256.

I’ve been on a year long effort to get more exercise. The Apple model for encouraging this is to give me methods of measuring and comparing my current and past efforts. It’s clear they believe that metrics = encouragement. So ‘losing’ my efforts is not smart of them - and the reasons are impenetrable.

I have searched for answers on this and there are none that apply. I wear an Apple Watch 6 and I start and end my workouts from that. I don’t use third party apps to speak to Health, other than my body composition scales. IMHO this is some form of error, and it is reducing my faith and interest in the ecosystem because it is pretty clearly full of discouraging holes.

Today I did a 4.8 mile walk, a 9 m8le cycle and a 168 Kcal strength training session. All recorded on my watch. Somewhere some of my calories are going missing and I’d really like to know where...

Any suggestions people have would be very welcome!

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 9:42 AM

I appreciate that you're trying to help but I’m afraid that doesn’t make sense: there is no reason whatsoever to believe that this is because ‘the iPhone is recording the data correctly so we’ll want to focus the troubleshooting to the Apple Watch.’

I have tried to be very clear. The watch records my activity. It is strapped to me all day every day, my phone is not. Therefore the superset of data is gathered by the watch and it is the watch that I have moved to the top of the priorities list in the data gathering preferences. Not only that: the iPhone’s Health app/Move and Fitness app/Move are both, 100% of the time, showing exactly the same calorie data as the watch.

The discrepancy is between the Move calorie count (whether on watch, iPhone Fitness or iPhone Health apps) and the iPhone Health ‘Active Energy app. So this clearly has nothing whatsoever to do with the calibration of the watch.

It is fairly well known that the Health app is buggy. I have always found it so. For example mine has never been able to export health data - whatever generation of phone I’ve tried it on the process always hangs and I have to use a third party app.

So it would be quite good if Apple support, instead of responding to users with a problem on their many hundreds of £££ or $$$ worth of kit, didn’t get the usual generic ‘restart/reinstall/update’ kind of response and accepted that their might well be a bug that needs sorting. FYI my OSs are always up to date and I practice pretty high levels of digital hygiene.

I will leave it there.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

I appreciate that you're trying to help but I’m afraid that doesn’t make sense: there is no reason whatsoever to believe that this is because ‘the iPhone is recording the data correctly so we’ll want to focus the troubleshooting to the Apple Watch.’

I have tried to be very clear. The watch records my activity. It is strapped to me all day every day, my phone is not. Therefore the superset of data is gathered by the watch and it is the watch that I have moved to the top of the priorities list in the data gathering preferences. Not only that: the iPhone’s Health app/Move and Fitness app/Move are both, 100% of the time, showing exactly the same calorie data as the watch.

The discrepancy is between the Move calorie count (whether on watch, iPhone Fitness or iPhone Health apps) and the iPhone Health ‘Active Energy app. So this clearly has nothing whatsoever to do with the calibration of the watch.

It is fairly well known that the Health app is buggy. I have always found it so. For example mine has never been able to export health data - whatever generation of phone I’ve tried it on the process always hangs and I have to use a third party app.

So it would be quite good if Apple support, instead of responding to users with a problem on their many hundreds of £££ or $$$ worth of kit, didn’t get the usual generic ‘restart/reinstall/update’ kind of response and accepted that their might well be a bug that needs sorting. FYI my OSs are always up to date and I practice pretty high levels of digital hygiene.

I will leave it there.

Mar 2, 2021 11:53 AM in response to barberlives123

In the iPhone Health App, calories expended are represented in two ways:

1) “Active Energy”

2) As “Move” calories, one of the three metrics shown in Activity, which itself seems to mirror the data presented in the Fitness app on the phone.

The problem I have is that on my watch, at the end of each day, I have a day’s total calories expended which is shown in the Activity complication.

So let’s identify these four measure of what should be the same thing as follows:

A) Phone/Health App/Active Energy

B) Phone/Health App/Move

C) Phone/Fitness App/Move

D) Watch/Activity Complication/Kcal segment

Now here is a good example taken from Saturday 28th Feb of the values shown at a second before midnight and therefore now recorded as the total Kcal date for that day:

A) 1,023 Kcal

B) 1,158 Kcal

C) 1,158 Kcal

D 1,158 Kcal

As it happens I use the iPhone Health App’s Active energy (“A” above) as my long term way of looking at how my performance is developing. I do this because it shows the best and largest graphs of that data. But it is the one place where calorie expenditure keeps not being recorded. As you can see above, measure B,C and D all agree that I expended 1,158 Kcal that day but measure A ‘stole’ 135 Kcal which, in a short month like February, reduces daily average by 5 kcal alone. Given that this same problem manifests on many but not quite most days, my monthly averages suffer more significantly. As I say though, on most days, ABC&D show the same value. This is certainly NOT a confusion between active and resting calories or a problem in resolving them in total calories.

For example these are the February averages shown in the above places in the iPhone health app

A) 1,171

B) 1,181

The iPhone Fitness app and the Apple Watch do not display monthly averages so there are no values for C or D. There is a bug of some kind which is interfering with the way that active calories burned above basal metabolic are added up in the “A” measure.

As I say it is rather disheartening when one is being encouraged to set and break targets for exercise and then this bug removes some of the effort I‘ve made from my totals!

BTW the only place I can find where Active versus Resting calories is displayed is in the summaries of each workout shown in the iPhone Fitness App, which shows Active and Total Kcal used in each workout. The difference between these two is far, far greater than much smaller miscounts which are common between A and B,C&D.

It really is a bug.

Mar 3, 2021 3:42 PM in response to barberlives123

Yeah. Not reading at all what I wrote is not helpful however polite your tone. Anyone with a reading age over about five can see from all of the above that the watch is not the problem. It is 100% clear.

Please, if you want to help, do. If you want to cover @ss or be a lazy if well-meaning participant, don’t.

It might feel to you as if you are being helpful but you are not. You are in fact being passive aggressive.

Mar 2, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Tim Ashley

Hello Tim,

It sounds as though the Apple Watch isn't showing the correct numbers for Active Calories. To clarify a bit further are you seeing the calorie usage in Fitness on the Companion iPhone, and is this where you're not seeing the correct number? If so, does the information in Fitness on the iPhone show Active and reseting calories? If so, does that number add up to the calories combined between the walk, cycle, and strength training workout? If so, there is a possibility that information may be showing correctly. The reason this can be is for Active Calories and the Exercise ring to close there are specific metrics that need to be met for data to be recognized.

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

Have a great day!

Mar 3, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Tim Ashley

Thank you for clarifying where you're seeing the error Tim,

This information greatly helps with identifying the issue. Since it appears the iPhone is recording the data correctly we'll want to focus the troubleshooting to the Apple Watch. Since noticing this issue have you calibrated the Apple Watch, along with restarted the iPhone and Apple Watch?If not, try those steps next as outlined in the following articles.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy

How to restart your Apple Watch

Restart your iPhone

If you continue to have issues after those calibrating and restarting, do confirm that watchOS and iOS are updated on your devices.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your Apple Watch

If you continue to have issues after those steps you'll want to reach out to Apple using the available contact details found on the Get Support website.

Take Care.

Mar 3, 2021 3:16 PM in response to Tim Ashley

Hi Tim,

Apple Support Communities is a peer-to-peer forum. Move and Activity data is crucial to many of us who utilize the Apple Watch features for our health and workouts. With the Apple Watch not showing the correct information the steps previously recommended with calibrating the Apple Watch, and restarting are great starting points for reaching a resolution. Keeping your devices up-to-date as you are is fantastic as well.

If after those steps you continue to notice an issue with the Move ring not showing the accurate calories as reflected on the iPhone, reaching out to Apple Support is the right next step. The available contact information for Apple in your region can be found on the Get Support website.

Have a great week.

health app calorie counts don’t add up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.