Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i back up all of my photos and videos to icloud, can i delete them to free up storage on my phone?

If i backup all of my photos and videos to icloud, can i delete them on my phone so free up storage? or how can i free up storage ?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 8:34 PM

One thing to add to the current responses, for clarity..

If you follow Axel's advice and use iCloud photos, turning on the Optimize Storage switch to help save space..

Make sure to understand that NO, you cannot delete the photos/videos from your phone. Because iCloud is a syncing service, deleting from your phone will also delete from iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 8:34 PM in response to sav_m

One thing to add to the current responses, for clarity..

If you follow Axel's advice and use iCloud photos, turning on the Optimize Storage switch to help save space..

Make sure to understand that NO, you cannot delete the photos/videos from your phone. Because iCloud is a syncing service, deleting from your phone will also delete from iCloud.

Feb 27, 2021 7:41 PM in response to sav_m

You can purchase ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you can create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone.

Having said that, you can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings Photos Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

Feb 27, 2021 8:27 PM in response to sav_m

sav_m Said:

"If i backup all of my photos and videos to icloud, can i delete them on my phone so free up storage? or can i free up storage ?

———-

Clear Storage Named "Other":

If you are low in space on an iPhone, one technique to try is clearing what is called “Other”. View the storage on your iPhone - see if "Other" is taking up lots of space. If so, delete "Other". For instructions on doing so, go here: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tip

if i back up all of my photos and videos to icloud, can i delete them to free up storage on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.