Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The power adapter that came with my year-old iPad Pro stopped working

The power adapter that came with my iPad Pro stopped working. The cable is fine and works with other adapters. Other cables also don’t work with the power adapter but with others, so it’s definitely the adapter. . It’s the one I use for overnight charging in a power strip. My iPhone 11 adapter also failed after almost exactly a year.. Yet most of what I’ve read says adapters should last years. Both adapters were constantly plugged in and rarely if ever moved., as they were by my bedside. Thank you fir any insights, as these are expensive to replace. I only use apple adapters and cables.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 3:28 PM

If your Power Adapter was continuously connected to power - and not connected to a device “load” for charging - this will have likely had a detrimental effect upon the Power Adapter.

At its heart, the Power Adapter is a switched-mode power supply. Without delving into detail of how these work, suffice to say that leaving them connected to AC Mains for extended periods, without a load, is not recommended. Aside from other issues, doing so can dramatically shorten the life of the electronics.

Leaving the Power Adapter connected without load also consumes unnecessary power - which, from a “green” perspective is not environmentally friendly. Similarly, as with all AC Mains powered devices, leaving the Power Adapter connected to AC Power when not being actively used presents an avoidable safety/fire risk.

If you wish to extend the lifespan of your power (charging) electronics, you would be well advised to switch-off when unused.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 3:28 PM in response to reallilybart

If your Power Adapter was continuously connected to power - and not connected to a device “load” for charging - this will have likely had a detrimental effect upon the Power Adapter.

At its heart, the Power Adapter is a switched-mode power supply. Without delving into detail of how these work, suffice to say that leaving them connected to AC Mains for extended periods, without a load, is not recommended. Aside from other issues, doing so can dramatically shorten the life of the electronics.

Leaving the Power Adapter connected without load also consumes unnecessary power - which, from a “green” perspective is not environmentally friendly. Similarly, as with all AC Mains powered devices, leaving the Power Adapter connected to AC Power when not being actively used presents an avoidable safety/fire risk.

If you wish to extend the lifespan of your power (charging) electronics, you would be well advised to switch-off when unused.

Feb 28, 2021 3:08 PM in response to reallilybart

None of Apple's adapters really last long.

I have found over the past 10-11 years that Apple power adapters last any where from 1-2 years and that is pretty much it.

Just purchase another new one from Apple.

They are cheap enough to re-purchase.

OR

Purchase an Apple Mfi ( Made for iPad/iPhone/iPod ) power/charging adapter from a third party, like Anker electronics., as an example.

Much better quality power/charging adapters and they have a great warranty and customer service.

Best of Luck to You!

Feb 28, 2021 5:49 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot,

This is really good info that you supplied about this and explains why my Apple power adapters only last less than two years, but unfortunately, I cannot change my charging practices with these.

I use these Apple power/charging adapters ( four 12W and one 20W Apple power adapters ) with a bunch of Apple and non-Apple devices, like a bunch of iPads, two iPhones two Apple Watches, a Pebble watch, small handful of third party rechargeable stylii an Apple Pencil and a set of third party rechargeable earpods, that need charging at different times, so it is just a PITA to keep plugging/unplugging power/charging/adapters all the time, when they are are NOT being used for relatively short periods time.

Easier and cheaper for me just to replace the power/charging adapters staggered out about once every 1-1/2 to 2 years.

The power adapter that came with my year-old iPad Pro stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.