Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 11-inch has suddenly stopped charging with the official Apple adapter it came with

My 11 inch iPad Pro that I purchased a couple of years ago has suddenly stopped charging with the official Apple adapter it came with. However there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the adapter itself because it WILL charge my 12.9 iPad Pro that I bought last year. The only way I can charge the 11 inch model at the moment is using an unofficial adapter albeit it charges much more slowly.

It was charging fine the other day and there’s no dirt in the charging port. I haven’t dropped it either. I can’t fathom why the newer iPad will charge with both mains adapters but the old one suddenly won’t.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 2:11 AM

Given that your iPad will charge at a slower rate with a standard USB Power Adapter - but not with the supplied 20W Apple Power Adapter that has been demonstrated to function with other devices - this would suggest the the iPad’s charge-controller is likely to be faulty.

When connecting to a compatible USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter, the iPad’s charge controller circuitry negotiates its power requirements with the Power Adapter. If this “negotiation” fails, the Power Adapter will either not provide power, or default to a lower output. Conversely, when using a standard 5V USB Power Adapter, power negotiation does not occur.

Without delving into the deeper technicalities of how USB PD works, suffice to say that there is much more to this technology than simply providing a fixed power output. So as to protect the Power Adapter, iPad and cable, the Source (Power Adapter) and connected device must mutually agree power settings before power is applied. This handshake does not occur when using a standard USB Power Adapter.

Your iPad will need to be tested and assessed - and will very likely require repair. You would be well advised to visit your local Apple Store where the technicians can conduct appropriate tests and outline your options.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 2:11 AM in response to generalkadargo

Given that your iPad will charge at a slower rate with a standard USB Power Adapter - but not with the supplied 20W Apple Power Adapter that has been demonstrated to function with other devices - this would suggest the the iPad’s charge-controller is likely to be faulty.

When connecting to a compatible USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter, the iPad’s charge controller circuitry negotiates its power requirements with the Power Adapter. If this “negotiation” fails, the Power Adapter will either not provide power, or default to a lower output. Conversely, when using a standard 5V USB Power Adapter, power negotiation does not occur.

Without delving into the deeper technicalities of how USB PD works, suffice to say that there is much more to this technology than simply providing a fixed power output. So as to protect the Power Adapter, iPad and cable, the Source (Power Adapter) and connected device must mutually agree power settings before power is applied. This handshake does not occur when using a standard USB Power Adapter.

Your iPad will need to be tested and assessed - and will very likely require repair. You would be well advised to visit your local Apple Store where the technicians can conduct appropriate tests and outline your options.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Pro 11-inch has suddenly stopped charging with the official Apple adapter it came with

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.