Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk mail rules not working in Mac mail

I use Google Mail on my Mac air and the rules I have set up are not clearing the junk. I have the following boxes checked in the settings on my Mail Preferences: Enable Junk Mail Filtering and Perform Custom Actions. Under the Advanced tab, I have it set up If message is Junk Mail, move to my Gmail Trash and Mark as Read.

What setting do I have wrong as I am getting 40-50 junk mail messages in my Junk Folder daily? If they're identified as Junk, they should be going to the Trash based on what I have set up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 6:24 PM

That is not my problem. If I am in my junk mail box, there are a lot of junk mail messages. If I highlight them, right click, and hit Apply Rules, 90% of the junk messages are deleted. What I want to do is have the rules applied so they never go in the Junk Mail box. The rules I have set up all direct that Messages Marked as Junk should be sent to the Trash and Marked As Read. That is not occurring as they still show up in my Junk Mailbox. I know the Rules are set up properly as when I hit Apply Rules, most of them are moved to the trash. So what settings do I need in Mail Preferences to have the rules run automatically vs me doing it manually? Thanks in advance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 6:24 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

That is not my problem. If I am in my junk mail box, there are a lot of junk mail messages. If I highlight them, right click, and hit Apply Rules, 90% of the junk messages are deleted. What I want to do is have the rules applied so they never go in the Junk Mail box. The rules I have set up all direct that Messages Marked as Junk should be sent to the Trash and Marked As Read. That is not occurring as they still show up in my Junk Mailbox. I know the Rules are set up properly as when I hit Apply Rules, most of them are moved to the trash. So what settings do I need in Mail Preferences to have the rules run automatically vs me doing it manually? Thanks in advance.

Mar 1, 2021 7:35 PM in response to Cerasi

Hi there, Cerasi,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. We understand that your Junk filters are not being applied as expected in macOS Mail. We'd be happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we recommend using the information found in the Apple Support article If junk mail filters aren’t working in Mail on Mac - Apple Palaikymas.

Should you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly: Apple - Support - Product Selection.

Have a wonderful day!

Junk mail rules not working in Mac mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.