Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme router mode and iOS 14 private addresses

I have an AirPort Extreme (6th gen) I recently plugged back in after realizing the ethernet port in my apartment is live (suffering under MAC address filtered building wireless before that). My wireless network came up fine and I was able to connect on my Macbooks. However, my AirPort Extreme, despite the wireless network seeming to work fine, has been flashing yellow and showing a red update dot in AirPort Utility. Today, I discovered that its router mode was set to DHCP and NAT and it becomes happy again (i.e. AirPort shows green light, no red dot in AirPort utility) if I switch it to Bridge Mode. However, in Bridge Mode, I can no longer connect to my wireless network from my iOS devices, including my iPhone and iPad (Macbooks continue to connect fine). After some research, I discovered that I _can_ connect if I turn off private addresses for my wireless network when connecting from my iPhone or iPad.

Does anyone know why this is? What is the correct configuration in this case? Is it better to be in Bridge mode and turn off private addresses when connecting from each iOS 14 device? Or is it better to stay in DHCP and NAT mode and let the AirPort continue to be unhappy? Is there a way to make both ends of this happy?

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:53 PM

DHCP and NAT is a much more secure setting for the AirPort Extreme than Bridge Mode, which effectively shares the devices on your network with other devices at other apartments......something that you would want to avoid if at all possible.

The AirPort will be "happy" and will display a green light if you use AirPort Utility to click to "ignore" the Double NAT notice. Actually, the AirPort does not really care that it is blinking amber, but you might.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort and a smaller window will appear. Click on the small amber dot next to Double NAT and you will see the option to ignore the Double NAT notice.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 12:53 PM in response to bianchiadv

DHCP and NAT is a much more secure setting for the AirPort Extreme than Bridge Mode, which effectively shares the devices on your network with other devices at other apartments......something that you would want to avoid if at all possible.

The AirPort will be "happy" and will display a green light if you use AirPort Utility to click to "ignore" the Double NAT notice. Actually, the AirPort does not really care that it is blinking amber, but you might.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort and a smaller window will appear. Click on the small amber dot next to Double NAT and you will see the option to ignore the Double NAT notice.

Feb 28, 2021 1:00 PM in response to bianchiadv

Building networks tend to be cheap.. and hand out private IP addresses.

Tell us what private IP you get.. it is safe to post this as nobody can see you on private IP over the internet.

eg.

Since putting a bridged Airport on the network results in this.

It will have issues because the building router will not allocate you more than one IP.. nor is it properly setup in 80% of cases.. so everyone else in the building can also see your clients.. not so good that!!

Do use DHCP and NAT.

Make sure the building IP is not the same range as the Airport IP.. see mine above.. main router is on 192.168.20.x and Airport is on default 10.0.1.x

If you stick your Airport on any building network and it gives you 10.x.x.x network then change Airport to 192.168.x.x here. Under Network tab. Network Options.

To get rid of the red dot and annoying flashing amber.. select IGNORE. That is equivalent of putting your head in the sand and hoping the charging elephant cannot see you.

But using Building Networks.. that is the way it works.. Double NAT is the best solution under the circumstances of cheap internet via Building.

Otherwise buy LTE router and pay for your own 4G service..

Good Luck!!

Beaten by Bob.. again.. ~~~ waves.. morning Bob!

Feb 28, 2021 1:55 PM in response to bianchiadv

Unfortunately 10.x.x.x is most popular private IP range for buildings and the like.. so YES.. you do need to change the range of the Airport.

This is trivial.

In Airport utility go the Network tab. Click Network Options near the bottom.

Now you have this page in front of you. Click the down arrow on IPv4 DHCP range. Select 192.168

voila.. done that. Click save.

Voila,, click update, Then click continue in the dialogue box.

Next your computers etc will drop off the network.. and you might need to restart them..

End result .. your Airport is now on 192.168.1.1 home address.

This makes sure NAT works properly.. the Airports do not seem to handle 10.x.x.x on both WAN and LAN very well, even with correct subnet changes.. it however works fine with 192.168.. just to increase your knowledge a bit.

Feb 28, 2021 1:25 PM in response to LaPastenague

If you can't tell, I know next to nothing about networking, so I really appreciate both of your helpful responses, especially the notes about security. I've left the router mode in DHCP and NAT and ignored the warning, below is what I see now:

[Update: My image got moderated, but my IP shows as 10.x.x.x and my LAN IP as 10.0.1.1.]

@LaPastenague - I'm not sure I understand your note about about IP range - are you suggesting I should change my DHCP range in this case since my IP address is 10.x.x.x?

Thanks so much for your help!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

AirPort Extreme router mode and iOS 14 private addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.