Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automatically switch to hotspot

Hello,

I leave my MacBook running overnight doing financial market trades. Sometimes our cable internet goes down. If I leave my iPhone cable connected to the Mac, is there a way the Mac can Autoconnect to my hotspot should the wifi fail?

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 6:02 AM

Hello gentleman_driver,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you want to set your MacBook to automatically switch from your Wi-Fi network to your iPhone Personal Hotspot should the Wi-Fi fail. The computer doesn't see a difference between the Hotspot or other Wi-Fi network. You can use the following support article will guide you through choosing a preferred Wi-Fi network on your Mac.

Choose preferred Wi-Fi networks on Mac - Apple Support

This will work for what you want to do if the Wi-Fi network goes down.

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 6:02 AM in response to gentleman_driver

Hello gentleman_driver,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you want to set your MacBook to automatically switch from your Wi-Fi network to your iPhone Personal Hotspot should the Wi-Fi fail. The computer doesn't see a difference between the Hotspot or other Wi-Fi network. You can use the following support article will guide you through choosing a preferred Wi-Fi network on your Mac.

Choose preferred Wi-Fi networks on Mac - Apple Support

This will work for what you want to do if the Wi-Fi network goes down.

Best regards.

automatically switch to hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.