Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iveset my mac up to unlock with my fingerprint yet everytime i try to open it it makes me enter my password

why do I have to use my password to unlock my Mac when its set up for fingerprint?

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 7:01 AM

The Cold Startup with a computer with Touch ID will always require inputing the Password. Pause a moment the next time Cold Starting the computer - in the fine print below User Icon / Name. It spells this out, after password is input - Touch ID is available there after.

Even the iPhone from a Cold Startup will require as Manual Password Input and thereafter Touch ID / Face ID is available.

Both are to make sure the person attempting to start the device is the Owner who actually knows the password.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 7:01 AM in response to elloittspencer

The Cold Startup with a computer with Touch ID will always require inputing the Password. Pause a moment the next time Cold Starting the computer - in the fine print below User Icon / Name. It spells this out, after password is input - Touch ID is available there after.

Even the iPhone from a Cold Startup will require as Manual Password Input and thereafter Touch ID / Face ID is available.

Both are to make sure the person attempting to start the device is the Owner who actually knows the password.

iveset my mac up to unlock with my fingerprint yet everytime i try to open it it makes me enter my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.