macbook doesn't offer fingerprint to unlock the lockscreen, works everywhere else

I just got a MacBook Air 15 and set up the fingerprint. It's working fine on everything EXCEPT the Lock Screen to open the MacBook. it doesn't even offer the option, I have to put in the password. I cannot find the setting to fix this. Can someone help me?

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 1:09 PM

I believe the screen in your post above is the screen that is displayed after start up.

After Sleep, the only option displayed at the bottom is cancel, not have the 3 options at the bottom in your screenshot (shut down, restart, sleep).

Touch ID cannot be used at startup; it can only be used when the screen is locked (e.g., if you choose Lock Screen from the Apple menu or if it locked automatically based on the time selected in System Settings.

Note that many (most?) people including myself don't frequently shut down their Macs and let them Sleep instead.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 1:09 PM in response to jenfeld

I believe the screen in your post above is the screen that is displayed after start up.

After Sleep, the only option displayed at the bottom is cancel, not have the 3 options at the bottom in your screenshot (shut down, restart, sleep).

Touch ID cannot be used at startup; it can only be used when the screen is locked (e.g., if you choose Lock Screen from the Apple menu or if it locked automatically based on the time selected in System Settings.

Note that many (most?) people including myself don't frequently shut down their Macs and let them Sleep instead.

macbook doesn't offer fingerprint to unlock the lockscreen, works everywhere else

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.