Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup of External SSD Drive as a Boot Drive (2014 iMac)

I would like to install an external ssd drive to improve speed for my 2014 iMac. Will I be able to transfer my current data, using Time Machine to this new external boot drive? Yes, I am currently using an external drive for backup using Time Machine.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 9:45 AM

In well over 20 years of using a Mac I have used OWC products. To date I have NEVER experienced a failure. I have some enclosures I still use that are over 15 years old. OWC specializes in Macs and everything they sell is well tested and guaranteed to work with your system. In addition they have excellent pre and post sales support and their prices are very competitive.

Samsung does not specialize in Macs, however they do have low prices.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Tony Amsler

In well over 20 years of using a Mac I have used OWC products. To date I have NEVER experienced a failure. I have some enclosures I still use that are over 15 years old. OWC specializes in Macs and everything they sell is well tested and guaranteed to work with your system. In addition they have excellent pre and post sales support and their prices are very competitive.

Samsung does not specialize in Macs, however they do have low prices.

Mar 1, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Tony Amsler

Yes, it is absolutely possible. If you are running Catalina or earlier you can use a cloning app such as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal HD to the new SSD. Then boot from the SSD and set it as your startup drive and you are done. If you run Big Sur then you can boot from your Recovery Partition on the HD and the install Mac OS on the new SSD and then restore your Time Machine backup to the SSD.

Setup of External SSD Drive as a Boot Drive (2014 iMac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.