Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get old text messages on new device?

I have messages from 2013-2018 on an old iphone that is synced with icloud, but those messages do not appear on my newer iphone. Is it possible to access those messages from my new iphone so I can get rid of the old one? Some of these messages are from my mom who passed in 2015 so I'd like to keep them for sentimental reasons.

iPhone 6

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 10:17 AM

What do you mean by "synced" with iCloud? Are you using "Messages in iCloud"? If so, you should see those messages if you turn on "Messages in iCloud" on your new iPhone (assuming you are using the same Apple ID). For more info,. see the "Turn on Messages in iCloud" section in:

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If you are not using "Messages in iCloud", then the messages should be part of your iCloud backup. If you restored your new iPhone from that backup (or used the Quick Start method), you should see those messages. For more info, see:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 10:17 AM in response to LunatheCat

What do you mean by "synced" with iCloud? Are you using "Messages in iCloud"? If so, you should see those messages if you turn on "Messages in iCloud" on your new iPhone (assuming you are using the same Apple ID). For more info,. see the "Turn on Messages in iCloud" section in:

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If you are not using "Messages in iCloud", then the messages should be part of your iCloud backup. If you restored your new iPhone from that backup (or used the Quick Start method), you should see those messages. For more info, see:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to get old text messages on new device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.