Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil paired, but not working

OK, so I've been using my Pencil with my iPad Pro for more than a year, successfully. Today, I went to use it and it is not writing. It is paired, the Bluetooth menu shows "connected", the double-tap function works, the tip is well-connected and in mint condition, the battery is at 100%, I have restarted the iPad Pro twice, and it is up-to-date.

When I touch the screen with the Pencil, nothing happens. I can write with my finger, but nothing happens with the Pencil. I tried to mark up a PDF, I tried Notes, I tried Notepad+ Pro.

I'm baffled. Can anyone help?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 11:40 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Demo

I wasn't able to find the box my Pencil came in, but I found my daughter's first gen, and there was a spare in there. It seems to have done the trick. I don't get it though. I rarely use the Pencil. Just signing docs and such. My daughter is an artist/power user and she hasn't had any trouble at all. What causes a tip to go bad?

(and thanks for the rec)

Mar 1, 2021 1:48 PM in response to chermanns

If you use the pencil on a screen protector with a rougher surface, that can make the tip wear more quickly. I do know that if you don’t charge the pencil frequently, you run the risk of the battery dying. The battery is so small it must be charged with great frequency. Even on days when I don’t use my pencils, I charge it a couple of times a day.

Apple Pencil paired, but not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.