Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade RAM and SSD

I need to upgrade my MacBook pro-2017 model A1708

RAM 8GB I need to upgrade 16GB

SSD 256GB I need to upgrade 512GB or 1T

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 1:38 AM

Hello!

Sadly Apple does not allow you to upgrade MacBooks newer than 2013, but you can try this:

• Use apps that save you RAM. For example use Safari instead of Google Chrome
  • Delete apps you don't need anymore
  • Save all important files on iCloud
  • Use an external HDD

Hope that helps, have a nice day!

2 replies

Mar 2, 2021 8:54 PM in response to StewardMoon7224

StewardMoon7224 wrote:

Sadly Apple does not allow you to upgrade MacBooks newer than 2013

FYI, the SSD is removable on Apple laptops up until 2015 for the MacBook Pros and until 2017 for the MBAirs.

Also the A1708 model is a MBPro 13" (2016 or 2017) model without Touchbar which means technically it has a removable SSD, although I am not aware of any third party replacement options. However, it is possible to purchase a used Apple SSD from such vendors as:

https://beetstech.com/product/macbook-pro-13-inch-a1708-ssd-replacement-kit

Extreme care must be take purchasing a used SSD from any vendor even a respected vendor. SSDs have a limited life and some SSDs from the A1708 series have a known hardware issue. Apple has a free SSD repair program for some of the A1708 laptops, but it is solely based on system serial number so there is absolutely no way to tell if a used SSD has the potential failure.

upgrade RAM and SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.