Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound input keeps changing

I see I am not the first to post a question about this phenomenon in these Discussions (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1802691), but my case is slightly different.

My computer is a Mac mini (with Mojave) and therefore does not have a built-in microphone. I have therefore installed a camera/microphone, mainly so that Skype and Zoom can be used. (Unfortunately I can no longer remember the make of that device, and all it says on the device itself is 'Creative'.)

My attachment shows the Sound Input preferences. When these are. set to 'Live! Cam Chat HD VF0790', Zoom works correctly. If, however, Skype is used on a subsequent occasion, closed down and then later on Zoom is activated, the sound input has spontaneously changed to 'Line in' and so has manually to be changed back before Zoom can be used.

Can anyone suggest how this spontaneous resetting of the line input can be prevented? I should be grateful for information.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 1:21 PM

I am answering myself, having cured the problem.

Safe Mode did not help. But at some time in the distant past, I had installed (1) Soundflower and (2) Corel Painter, but found that I did not use or need them. Soundflower turns out to be a kernel extension; Corel Painter similarly inserts a number of sound and language extensions (Why? Strange for a painting app!). Searching on the Net, I found Terminal scripts for removing each of these; (I suspect that the best script to use in each case. depends on one's particular MacOS.)

I have had no more trouble with Sound Input changing. These kernel extensions (and no doubt there are others that have similar effects) can obviously cause hard-to-explain troubles.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Michael Graubart

I am answering myself, having cured the problem.

Safe Mode did not help. But at some time in the distant past, I had installed (1) Soundflower and (2) Corel Painter, but found that I did not use or need them. Soundflower turns out to be a kernel extension; Corel Painter similarly inserts a number of sound and language extensions (Why? Strange for a painting app!). Searching on the Net, I found Terminal scripts for removing each of these; (I suspect that the best script to use in each case. depends on one's particular MacOS.)

I have had no more trouble with Sound Input changing. These kernel extensions (and no doubt there are others that have similar effects) can obviously cause hard-to-explain troubles.

Mar 3, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Michael Graubart

Hello Michael Graubart,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

It is our understanding from your post that your sound settings are changing without prompting from you. We recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode.  The following article has the steps you will need to test the issue in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed."

Best Regards. 

Mar 14, 2021 8:05 AM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Thank you, AlwaysWantingToHelp. The trouble is that actually the phenomenon is pretty random in occurrence, not as consistent as my previous post suggested. So I would have to keep testing in Safe Mode for a lengthy period of time. But I shall try it as soon as I have a slack period, and shall then pick up this thread again.

Mar 23, 2021 7:37 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Solved!

Two or three years ago, for some reason that I can no longer recall, I installed Soundflower. I have now uninstalled it, and so far my sound input setting has remained where I set it. Long may it stay so — bearing in mind the previously rather random appearances of the fault.

Uninstalling Soundflower is not that straightforward. In my system (Mojave, latest minor update — 10.14.6) the following procedure, found on another website and slightly modified, has worked. well:

Uninstall Soundflower

From the Finder, HIT Shift-Cmd-G and TYPE: /Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" or ‘SoundflowerSigned.ktext” file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password).

REPEAT, typing in this folder path: /System/Library/Extensions

Then OPEN THE TERMINAL APP

Type this line, entering your password when asked. sudo touch /Library/Extensions/

RESTART your computer.

Sound input keeps changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.