Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

font issues with XQuartz on Big Sur

Hi All,

Yesterday, I updated my mac to the latest version of Xquartz. Shortly after I found that many of my X applications no longer worked. Everything from X forwarding from a remote workstation, to my local xterm. I get the following error

% xterm

X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)

Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)

Serial number of failed request:  13

Current serial number in output stream:  25

FWIW xclock and xlogo do work

I've tried to uninstall Xquartz including all cache and plist references and reinstalling it. I've tried reinstalling the OS. I've of course rebooted the machine multiple times. I'm working on restoring the machine to a couple of days ago but for some reason in recovery mode it's having a hard time reading the backup mount (although in my regular operations, I can restore any particular file through time machine ... just don't know what to recover). I've restarted the computer in a safety mode as well, as I've read that can reset the font cache. Although I've cleaned out all the font cache that I know of by rm -rf ~/.cache.

I'm guessing I have a corrupt or incompatible font, but not sure how to find it. And while there's a lot of information about how to work in this if this were a linux box. There's a lack of information for when this problem appears with a mac.

I'm on a macbook pro, running OSX 11.2.2. XQuartz version is 2.8.0_rc2

Any thoughts would be great.

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 6:50 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 2, 2021 7:22 AM in response to jm_mac_user123

You are still using a beta release candidate of XQuartz, and as it is not an Apple product, you are at the mercy of contacting the XQuartz developers and raising these issues with them.

Have you done anything with xset fp+ to establish the default XQuartz fontpath, and System fontpaths? Looked in the XQuartz's UI Preferences panel?

font issues with XQuartz on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.