Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my notes on my iPhone just suddenly disappeared and I can't figure out how to get them back. any ideas?

all of my notes have disappeared from my iPhone notes. I did not delete them. does anyone know how to restore them?

thanks

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 12:27 PM

Do not forgot to click on the link appearing above your name (original post) and follow the provided guidance.

Did you delete an email address or are having difficulty connecting to one of your email addresses? I ask because if your notes were associated to one of your email addresses (not iCloud) then deleting that email address or bad connectivity may cause the issue that you facing.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 12:27 PM in response to scpa1234

Do not forgot to click on the link appearing above your name (original post) and follow the provided guidance.

Did you delete an email address or are having difficulty connecting to one of your email addresses? I ask because if your notes were associated to one of your email addresses (not iCloud) then deleting that email address or bad connectivity may cause the issue that you facing.

Axel F.

Mar 2, 2021 6:12 PM in response to scpa1234

i would like to mention here i suppose as a warning to anyone using the Notes app on ipads and iphones that theres obviously been a gross mishandling of the data and an appropriate explanation about why this is still happening. Like many many othrr people here about this issue, I lost literally years worth of notes when applying an iOS software update. Yes u can scold the users for not having a current backup. But this problem was created by some kind of negligent design or lack of thorough testing or maybe Apple just could care less but when all you are doing is updating the operating system and then you turn on your phone and eventually figure out that theres nothing in Notes, that creates a very big trust issue then with Apple. I wasnt switching to a new phone...i didnt change any settings. i never needed or wanted the version of Notes that Apple was pushing. The free Notes that Id been using since my iPhone 5S, and the notes that always moved along to the new phone tied to my original icloud account worked just fine and it was free. Then in one moment of an upgrade, theyre gone. Zip. some poetry, some notes, but some passwords or info about 2FA accounts. So yea it was a giant loss of years of data and the thing that created it was an Apple software update decision, and maybe that was APPLE punishing me for not paying to use the new shiny thing. Id also just throw this out there...no nothing lasts forever, but i know this - if i wanted to use an iphone from like 2011 in the future like to listen to my fav 64GB of music on, and assuming i was lucky and i kept it in best condition, and i knew i couldnt use it on the internet beings how it wouldnt have had a security update in a decade or more, i could still listen to my bought and paid for music whenever. Or i could move it, or other data to some other location. But theres no promise that whats on your cloud will always be there in fact you agree that it can and does sometimes just disappear. Apple and every other cloud provider clearly avoid any promises or permanance and they treat your data and music and writings and drawings as temporary unimportant tidbits that if lost no big deal. Anyway, im still a fan of Apple, and yea back up your stuff but nothings safe in transit or storage, i know that. I was updating an iPad to system 7 - something glitched during the update, and the device had to be taken in to the Apple store and returned for replacement. I wasnt worried becuase I had made a backup on my iMac before the update. When I got the replacement at home and tried doing a restore from the recent full back up, it would not work saying the backup was corrupt and for a week i spent my nights on the phone talking to Apple engineers and all they could do in the end was say sorry. I lost a lot the but the most painful was there were about 300 original digital drawings and paintings created in various creation apps, like thousands of originals, hours of art. gone. and had done the correct protocol making the backup. i stopped drawing after that because i lost not only faith in apple preserving my precious data but i just couldnt imagine that happening again. The loss of my Notes obviously brought that frustration back in focus. My only consolation was a weird sense of gratitude when the engineers seemed sncerely sorry. Because much as i love Apple, they wont admit anything ever goes wrong.

my notes on my iPhone just suddenly disappeared and I can't figure out how to get them back. any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.