Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Touch ID doesn't work

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and within a month after setting it up, the Touch ID function won't work. On several occasions I've deleted all my configured finger scans and rescanned them but it continues to not recognize any of my scanned fingers, so I end up having to enter my machine's password. What a waste.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Andrew White2 Said:

"Macbook Pro Touch ID doesn't work: I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and within a month after setting it up, the Touch ID function won't work. On several occasions I've deleted all my configured finger scans and rescanned them but it continues to not recognize any of my scanned fingers, so I end up having to enter my machine's password. What a waste."

-------

What to Try:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for touch pad) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take up to three tries to reset both successfully. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Also...

B. Try a New User:

Create a new user (for troubleshooting purposes) - see if it still happens. If so, then it is something created in your current user. So, you'd transfer everything over to that new user, and then delete this one you are currently using.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Andrew White2

Andrew White2 Said:

"Macbook Pro Touch ID doesn't work: I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and within a month after setting it up, the Touch ID function won't work. On several occasions I've deleted all my configured finger scans and rescanned them but it continues to not recognize any of my scanned fingers, so I end up having to enter my machine's password. What a waste."

-------

What to Try:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for touch pad) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take up to three tries to reset both successfully. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Also...

B. Try a New User:

Create a new user (for troubleshooting purposes) - see if it still happens. If so, then it is something created in your current user. So, you'd transfer everything over to that new user, and then delete this one you are currently using.

Macbook Pro Touch ID doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.