Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac HD seemingly disappeared from Late 2012 iMac. Cannot reinstall macOS! Please help!

Hello all,

This is my first question asked to the Apple Discussions however I'm in a fairly desperate situation. First, a bit of a backstory:

I've been using my Late 2012 iMac for just under 9 years now and have just decided to upgrade due to how slow it has gotten (it uses a 1TB SATA drive). Because I am planning to upgrade, I started to back up my data to an external hard drive. However, I decided not to use Time Machine because I wouldn't have been able to individually select files to back up. I backed up most of my machine to the drive, but while I was exporting my photos library to the external drive, my computer crashed. This was during the export, meaning some photos had gotten backed up - but not all of them. It has crashed in the past and I'd been able to repair the disk through recovery mode and/or reinstall macOS, however this time nothing I did could even launch recovery mode - and Apple support couldn't help either, suggesting I bring the machine in for repair which I did not want to do because I had just purchased a brand new machine.

I was getting the error code -2003F which apparently is related to my network, so I went out and bought an ethernet cable which actually fixed the problem. I was now able to boot the computer into recovery mode, however whenever I tried to use Catalina recovery mode, I would get the spinning rainbow ball on disk utility. So I booted into Mountain Lion recovery mode, which ran fine on my machine. However, when I attempted to reinstall OS X, there was no disk there that I could use.

According to Disk Utility, there is a disk entitled "1 TB APPLE HDD" with a sub-disk "disk1s2." There was another entry entitled "disk0" with a sub-disk "Mac OS X Base System." Repairing or verifying either of these does nothing.

I'm not entirely well-versed on Mac internals and therefore I don't really want to play around with any of this stuff, so I thought I'd come here where the experts hang out. Is there any possible way for me to recover my Mac HD and recover my data? The Apple Support representative didn't seem to think so, but I thought I'd ask here before taking drastic measures. I have included a photo of the current state of disk utility and "reinstall OS X"

I have not partitioned or altered this drive in the past. I haven't been messing around with disk utility or reformatting disks. All I did was export my photos to an external hard drive, and crash.

I appreciate in advance any help I receive. I would be happy to supply more photos/information and try anything you guys suggest. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:38 AM

Hi Marc Weiner,

So, here's what's up.

The reason Disk Utility is showing "disk1s2" instead of Macintosh HD (or your hard drive name) and is not usable because macOS Catalina uses the APFS file system, while Mountain Lion uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or HFS+, so Mountain Lion does not understand this new APFS disk. It had no idea what it is or what to do with it.

In order to reinstall macOS, you need to use the Internet Recovery for Catalina. Try these set of directions:

1. Turn off the iMac (if on) Connect to ethernet.
  2. Turn it on, and press Option + Command + R.
  3. Select Disk Utility
  4. Click "View" > "Show All Devices". Run First Aid on all the internal disks, going from the bottom to the top. If Disk Utility freezes, proceed to the next step.
  5. Select "Reinstall macOS".
  6. Install macOS Catalina again and follow the prompts.

Let me know how this sounds/goes.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 12:38 AM in response to Marc Weiner

Hi Marc Weiner,

So, here's what's up.

The reason Disk Utility is showing "disk1s2" instead of Macintosh HD (or your hard drive name) and is not usable because macOS Catalina uses the APFS file system, while Mountain Lion uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or HFS+, so Mountain Lion does not understand this new APFS disk. It had no idea what it is or what to do with it.

In order to reinstall macOS, you need to use the Internet Recovery for Catalina. Try these set of directions:

1. Turn off the iMac (if on) Connect to ethernet.
  2. Turn it on, and press Option + Command + R.
  3. Select Disk Utility
  4. Click "View" > "Show All Devices". Run First Aid on all the internal disks, going from the bottom to the top. If Disk Utility freezes, proceed to the next step.
  5. Select "Reinstall macOS".
  6. Install macOS Catalina again and follow the prompts.

Let me know how this sounds/goes.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 3, 2021 12:52 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

Thank you so very much for your advice and for the helpful information. I will attempt this immediately in the morning and will let you know the results.

Would it be helpful for you to know that during my attempts to boot the machine into recovery mode, I came across the “file with a question mark” AND “circle with line going through it” screens?

-Marc

Mac HD seemingly disappeared from Late 2012 iMac. Cannot reinstall macOS! Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.