Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatted all partitions, including recovery, and Macintosh HD - Data

I was having some general issues with my OS ( Big Sur 11.3.1 ) and had a partition of Windows installed that I never used. So I decided it may be a good time to format my partitions and reinstall with the latest mac os. I may have gone a little over board and formatted everything including the recovery partition and my Macintosh HD - Data.

After everything was formatted, I rebooted the machine and was taken to the Globe for Internet Recovery, I selected my wireless network from the drop down, and waited about 20 - 30 minutes for the progress bar to complete. Once it completed, it displayed the globe with an error triangle over it, and displayed the support.apple.com url with the error code -1008F.

I tried retrying the internet recovery steps a few additional times with the same resulting error. So I went ahead and created a bootable usb with the latest mac os ( 11.4 ), turned off my system, plugged in the usb, powered it up holding down the option key, selected the bootable usb drive from the list of available drives and hit enter. After a black screen for a couple of seconds, it jumps directly back to the internet recovery globe which fails with the same error every time.

I have gone through the steps multiple times to reset my NVRAM and SMC which has not helped. I have also tried creating an additional bootable usb with ubuntu to see if I could boot into that with no luck. I have also allowed the power to drain completely before starting it back up.

Somewhat strange is that the windows bootable partition still shows up when holding down the option key on boot, even after resetting NVRAM and SMC, but of course it does not work as it has been formatted.

I am at a bit of a loss at what to do next. The system seemed totally fine before my formatting misadventures so I don't believe it is a hardware issue. I am not sure if I possibly formatted the hard drive incorrectly, and if so, without Disk Utility, if there is a way to reformat the drive using an external drive or secondary system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if any additional information is neeeded.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 7:39 AM

QuakingAL wrote:

I was having some general issues with my OS ( Big Sur 11.3.1 ) and had a partition of Windows installed that I never used. So I decided it may be a good time to format my partitions and reinstall with the latest mac os. I may have gone a little over board and formatted everything including the recovery partition and my Macintosh HD - Data.

After everything was formatted, I rebooted the machine and was taken to the Globe for Internet Recovery, I selected my wireless network from the drop down, and waited about 20 - 30 minutes for the progress bar to complete. Once it completed, it displayed the globe with an error triangle over it, and displayed the support.apple.com url with the error code -1008F.

I tried retrying the internet recovery steps a few additional times with the same resulting error. So I went ahead and created a bootable usb with the latest mac os ( 11.4 ), turned off my system, plugged in the usb, powered it up holding down the option key, selected the bootable usb drive from the list of available drives and hit enter. After a black screen for a couple of seconds, it jumps directly back to the internet recovery globe which fails with the same error every time.

I have gone through the steps multiple times to reset my NVRAM and SMC which has not helped. I have also tried creating an additional bootable usb with ubuntu to see if I could boot into that with no luck. I have also allowed the power to drain completely before starting it back up.

Somewhat strange is that the windows bootable partition still shows up when holding down the option key on boot, even after resetting NVRAM and SMC, but of course it does not work as it has been formatted.

I am at a bit of a loss at what to do next. The system seemed totally fine before my formatting misadventures so I don't believe it is a hardware issue. I am not sure if I possibly formatted the hard drive incorrectly, and if so, without Disk Utility, if there is a way to reformat the drive using an external drive or secondary system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if any additional information is neeeded.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Device erase/format/initialize the parent drive

How to erase your Intel-based Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 7:39 AM in response to QuakingAL

QuakingAL wrote:

Disk Utility>View>Show All Device erase/format/initialize the parent drive

How to erase your Intel-based Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Jun 17, 2021 8:17 AM in response to QuakingAL

QuakingAL wrote:

Internet recovery as well. Internet recovery eventually fails giving a -1008F error.

-1008F error

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce the error]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

Also, make certain the Date&Time and Time Zone are correct within 5 minutes.

ref: Grant Bennet-Alder

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250370425?answerId=250705456022#250705456022

Power Cycle your router

Disable any VPN or Proxy server

Uninstall any third party Cleaners,Optimizers,Anti-virus

Jun 17, 2021 8:31 AM in response to QuakingAL

QuakingAL wrote:

I'll go ahead and make sure non of those common problems are occurring. I do have a docking station for my macbook pro with an ethernet connection, but I don't see any options to use ethernet and am only given the option to select a wifi connection from Internet Recovery. Is there something I am missing to run Internet Recovery over ethernet wired connection or should it just automatically start if it is connected via ethernet?

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Internet Recovery over Ethernet... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8299328

Jun 17, 2021 8:10 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the quick reply,

Sadly I formatted my recovery partition so I am unable to use Disk Utility or macOS Recovery, from what I can tell the only options available are using Internet recovery, which fails, or trying to reinstall the OS via a bootable USB which goes directly to Internet recovery as well. Internet recovery eventually fails giving a -1008F error.

Jun 17, 2021 8:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'll go ahead and make sure non of those common problems are occurring. I do have a docking station for my macbook pro with an ethernet connection, but I don't see any options to use ethernet and am only given the option to select a wifi connection from Internet Recovery. Is there something I am missing to run Internet Recovery over ethernet wired connection or should it just automatically start if it is connected via ethernet?

Jun 19, 2021 9:59 AM in response to leroydouglas

Took me a couple of days to get a thunderbolt 3 - thunderbolt and thunderbolt - ethernet adapter, but I received them today, disconnected my router entirely and ran ethernet directly from my modem to my macbook. This did automatically start internet recovery, but I am still getting the -1008F error after a couple of minutes on the globe screen with the progress bar. I went ahead and cleared my NVRAM again just to make sure there wasn't anything being cached in anyway.

I am not entirely sure, but I would assume removing the router from the picture and going directly to the modem should null out a lot of those potential problems listed in your previous post leroydouglas. I am not sure if there is anything additionally I can try, as I am still unable to boot from a bootable usb drive and internet recovery is still giving the same -1008F error.

Formatted all partitions, including recovery, and Macintosh HD - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.