Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add memory to 5k 27" 2017 iMac

I want to extend the memory of my 5k 27" 2017 iMac. It now has 2 4GB memory modules, so another to modules can be added. Doe these extra modules also need to be 4GB, or can I also add 2 16GB modules?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 5:02 AM

It's recommended not to mix capacities and speeds

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

For optimal memory performance, DIMMs should be the same capacity, speed, and vendor. Use Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMM) that meet all of these criteria:

• PC4-21333
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 260-pin
  • 2666MHz DDR4 SDRAM

If you have mixed capacity DIMMs, see the 

install memory section for installation recommendations.

My recommendation would be to just use the 2 16 GB modules. as an extra 8 GB rarely will make much difference.

But you can try and see, as long as you follow the guidelines it should still work.

You can always just remove the 2 4GB modules if it misbehaves.

Good luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 5:02 AM in response to Mars234

It's recommended not to mix capacities and speeds

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

For optimal memory performance, DIMMs should be the same capacity, speed, and vendor. Use Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMM) that meet all of these criteria:

• PC4-21333
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 260-pin
  • 2666MHz DDR4 SDRAM

If you have mixed capacity DIMMs, see the 

install memory section for installation recommendations.

My recommendation would be to just use the 2 16 GB modules. as an extra 8 GB rarely will make much difference.

But you can try and see, as long as you follow the guidelines it should still work.

You can always just remove the 2 4GB modules if it misbehaves.

Good luck!

add memory to 5k 27" 2017 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.