Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem importing large numbers of photos into the Photos app

I have a large collection of photos and videos (tens of thousands) on an external SSD arranged in a large number of folders and subfolders several layers deep. Whenever I try to import the entire collection using the Import option in the Photos app, or just a subset of the folders and subfolders, a large number of photos are missing once the import has finished. The only way that I seem to be able to get a complete folder to import is to use the Finder app to navigate right down to a specific folder where the photos are stored on the external SSD, select all the photos and drag and drop them into a folder in the Photos app. Whilst this might be okay for a small number of folders and photos, it is immensely time consuming given my situation.

I have an M1 Mac mini running Big Sur 11.2.2, 16GB Ram, 1TB internal SSD and I am attempting to import the photos and videos from a 2 TB Samsung T7 SSD into a non system Photos library on a 1TB Samsung T7 SSD, opting not to copy the photos (so creating only references) and with the "Keep Folder Organisation" option checked.

Interested to know if anyone else has this problem or has a suggestion of what I might be doing wrong or a more efficient work around?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:30 PM

There is a bug in Photos that will cause Photos to stop the import, if two files in the same import session are having the same filename. That is why it is working to import one folder at a time. But if you are having two files with the same name in different folders, you must not try to import both folders at the same time.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 12:30 PM in response to StigAKA

There is a bug in Photos that will cause Photos to stop the import, if two files in the same import session are having the same filename. That is why it is working to import one folder at a time. But if you are having two files with the same name in different folders, you must not try to import both folders at the same time.

Mar 4, 2021 10:03 AM in response to StigAKA

Here's one way to find the duplicate named files:

1 - open the external HD icon in the Finder and use the key combination of ⌘+F to start a search.

2 - select "Kind is image" All

3 - click on the name header to sort by file name.

4 - scroll down list looking for duplicate names.

5 - rename one of any duplicate names by adding an "a" to the end of the file name.

Although a bit time consuming it would be quicker than any other way I can think of.

Mar 4, 2021 10:27 AM in response to StigAKA

There is an alternative way - if you don't need to also import the folder structure into Photos.

If, in finder, you do a search (Like OT has suggested), but then instead of manually checking, you select them all (CTRL-a), copy, then paste into a new empty folder. Finder will automatically rename duplicate names.

The downside is all your images are now in a single folder.

If that is no good - you could use this copy of the files to identify duplicate filenames - they are renamed by adding a sequential number before the .jpg (or other extension). So you could search for 1.jpg which would identify a duplicated filename, and then scroll down the search list to go directly to that item in the search list.

Here is a screenshot of the test I did - 3 files, each copied into 4 sub folders of the folder "F1". I searched for them all in the F1 folder, then copied them to a destination folder.

This is a shot of the original filenames:

This is how they've been renamed.

Problem importing large numbers of photos into the Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.