Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21" iMac TV+ app or streaming TV+ via Safari results in black screen after approx 35 seconds of viewing

I have a build to order iMac

Specs:

(Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

Processor 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Storage 512GB SSD

Memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB

Mac OS BigSur 11.2.2

My internet speed is consistently around 320 Mbps (w/ethernet cable) or around 300 Mbps (when using wi-fi.) I tested & repeated problem using both connection methods.

Whenever I launch the TV+ app, or view TV+ in the Safari web browser the screen goes completely black after approximately 35 seconds of viewing. Audio and TV+ screen overlays are still visible, but the picture is totally black. I'm not viewing on an external monitor; I'm simply trying to view the video stream on the iMac. Like I indicated, the video plays fine for a little over half a minute, then the video goes totally black (every time). The rest of the computer's displayed content is fine, only the TV+'s video playback window (or full-screen, if in full screen mode) is impacted. I should note, that playback works perfectly fine when viewing the TV content on my PC laptap when viewing TV+ via the Edge web browser. I suspect this glitch may be attributable to a recent Mac OS update, as TV+ worked fine for me before and still does when viewed on my PC.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried to no avail include: reset router, run first aid, check disks, unplugged external drives and tried with those unplugged, booted up in safe mode, and reset the PRAM. I also installed Malwarebytes, and ran it just to check for malware (no Malware was detected). I then uninstalled Malwarebytes.

Since this is a BTO configuration, I was wondering if anyone else with a 2019 21" iMac with the i7 upgrade and the Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB upgrade running Big Sur 11.2.2 are experiencing this issue?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 10:58 PM

Please refer to this help document:

If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 10, 2021 12:23 AM in response to Fade-2-Black

Updating to macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 did not remedy the problem. Also, I tried downloading the video (for offline use) as per a suggestion. Playback of that immediately results in the error message: "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)." For clarification, I'm just trying to view it on the 4K 21" iMac's screen. I can't think of any reason why an Apple iMac Computer that was purchased last summer wouldn't support HDCP.

FYI: Screen sharing is off.

Suggestions?

Mar 7, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Fade-2-Black

I have a similar configuration with the same issue

2019 21" iMac with the i7, Radeon Pro Vega 20, 16 GB, running Big Sur 11.2.2

the video goes totally black after 20 seconds when I try to see a movie in TV+

Sound and subtitle continue working well, but video totally black

i have reinstalled Big Sur on the iMac with no success

I have seen other people with the same problem in a website in France with similar configuration (iMac 2019 with Radeon Vega 20)

alexis

Mar 20, 2021 3:50 PM in response to mayrit28

I spoke with my Apple advisor again today.

Today's troubleshooting steps included creating a partition and performing a clean install of Mac OS Big Sur on it, and then booting up from that newly created partion. This differed from the previous test account we had created, for this time a full clean install of OS Big Sur was done. Alas, the issue of playback going black after approximately 30 seconds when streaming content via AppleTV+ as well as immediately resulting in a black screen with a HDCP error message when attempting to playback a video that been downloaded via AppleTV+ still occurred in the newly created environment.

Apr 11, 2021 5:38 AM in response to Fade-2-Black

Hi there, I have the same problem with the same configuration : 2019 21" iMac with the i7, Radeon Pro Vega 20, 16 GB, running Big Sur 11.2.2.

The video goes black on Safari with Netflix or Apple TV+, but they work fine in Firefox.

I also tried to download a movie file from the Apple TV app, then open it in the Finder and read it with QuickTime: it fails as well.

I have contacted Apple Support few times, but they never give feedbacks and miss the calls.

Apr 16, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Fade-2-Black

Update: I spoke with my Apple senior advisor late this evening. I was informed that the issue has been escalated in engineering and is now being treated as a "bug", and at this juncture there is nothing they can do other than wait for the playback issue to be addressed in an upcoming software update. In the interim, I suggest using an alternative browser, such as Firefox, as the playback issue on this BTO iMac configuration only seems to impact Safari and the AppleTV+ app. and, as previously mentioned in this discussion thread, AppleTV+ content when viewed in Firefox doesn't result in the blacked-out screen & error message.

21" iMac TV+ app or streaming TV+ via Safari results in black screen after approx 35 seconds of viewing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.