Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing images from a USB flash drive to an iPad

How can I make the images on a USB flash drive importable? Apparently an index file is needed. Is there a program available which will create the index file?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 1:32 PM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2021 2:23 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the reply, but the information at the link specifically states that images cannot be imported into Photos from a USB drive. I assume that this is because a reference or index file that would be created by a camera is missing. My question is asking if there is software available which would create this file from the images on the USB drive so that the images can be imported directly into Photos. I am aware that I can use the Files app to select the images and then share them with the Photos app, but it would be nice to be able to import them directly. Thanks.

Mar 3, 2021 2:41 PM in response to JE_Norman

I note that the tags appended to your initial post indicate that you have a third generation iPad Pro. Given that your iPad has a USB-C port, you can connect a USB Storage device without use of a Camera Adapter.

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single data partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

For iPad Pro models with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

Mar 4, 2021 11:09 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the reply. Those are all good points, but they did not address importing photos on a USB flash drive directly into the Photos app which Apple says is not supported. After much experimenting, I have found a way to do this which works with jpg images from cameras, scanners, or from screen captures. Below are the requirements for doing this.

Requirements for importing photos from a USB flash drive into the Photos app on an iPad or iPhone

The USB flash drive must contain a DCIM folder and another folder inside of that folder which is where the image files must be located.  I named the subfolder 100NCD90 which was the name of a subfolder on a camera SD card I had. 

It appears that any 8-character name will work as long as the first three characters are numbers.  For example,

100AAAAA works.

The image file extension must be jpg, not jpeg.

The file name needs to be 8 characters with the last 4 being numbers.  The first 4 can be numbers or letters or underscore.  For example, DSC_0001 and IMGP0001 both work.

The advantage of importing pictures directly into the Photos app is that you can select the Library or an Album (assuming that you have a recent iOS version) as the destination.  I also tested the Import from a USB flash drive on an older iPad running iOS10 and it worked, but you did not have the Album option. 

For iOS13 or iOS14, if you import using the Files app, your choices for photos are Library or Shared Album (not Album).   For earlier iOS versions, the Files app is not available.

Importing images from a USB flash drive to an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.