Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disney Plus uses significant memory

I have a M1 MBP with 16G of memory but when I try and watch Disney plus it just states " website was reloaded because it was using significant memory" I do not have any AD blockers installed on safari. if I open Activity monitor you can see it using about 9G of memory before it reloads. is this a Software issue on Apples side or Coding on Disney+? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 11:13 AM

I have the same issue... the only way i found to overcome this problem was by installing Safari Technology Preview. It takes some time to load the disney plus page (for some reason) but once it's loaded everything works just fine without any refresh.

Similar questions

32 replies

Mar 7, 2021 3:04 PM in response to Blake71

Especially since it seems that 1080p is only available in Safari. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge but none will go above 720p on macOS for some reason.

It would be really nice if two of the largest companies in the world could get their stuff working together correctly when they're going to make the highest quality exclusive to their own software and services.

Mar 7, 2021 7:41 PM in response to Blake71

I have the exact same situation. Mac OS 11.2.2. Macbook Pro M1 with 16GB ram. The Disney Plus GUI locks up in Safari all the time. Usually after a few minutes into a stream the Disney Plus UI becomes inoperable within Safari. Safari will repeatedly display annoying memory usage banners on screen. I think some system process is causing the stream buffer to malfunction.

The only solution I've found so far is to use another browser.

Currently Disney Plus breaks Safari on ARM.

It was never a problem for me until Mac OS 11.2.2.

Mar 8, 2021 1:08 AM in response to Blake71

I have the same EXACT issue too right now with my M1 MBP with 16GB memory. I called apple support and they ran through some steps with me in clearing my cookies and data but didn't work. So now they ran some tests on my Mac and sent it to their engineering team and will contact me when they finishing looking into it

Mar 8, 2021 6:57 AM in response to Blake71

Same for me as well:

Disney+ using Safari on a MacMini 2018 8GB i5

You can watch the Memory consumption rising up to 2GB when the prompt appears and the webpage forcefully reloads. I do understand the mechanics behind it, but since I do not face this when running Netflix or PrimeVideo (no issues at all: Netflix steadily around 500MB and Prime approx. 600MB) this seems to be linked to "website interpretation of the content" and allocating resources, no?

Tried to usual suspects (as already outline) with no effect.

Mar 8, 2021 4:09 PM in response to Blake71

Hi I also encountered this problem on my newly purchased MBA 8GB M1. After the run around with Apple Support & them taking user logs and screenshots of my webpage crashing. There response was, "this is normal activity and my MBA is functioning properly".

This is ridiculous lol

If you are seeing this Apple. I paid $999 and I can't stream a movie on your device. I hope you are proud.

Mar 8, 2021 5:51 PM in response to Chappy868

Apples Service has become absolutely horrible this past year. Their phone service use to be very helpful but now every time I call their representatives have no idea what they’re talking about. I made an appointment with Genius Bar about the “this webpage is using too much memory” issue and they canceled on me without telling me sh*t. They never contacted me to make a new appointment. I’m pretty disappointed in apple seeing as they had good customer service in the past but i guess that’s what you can expect from a rich company that only cares about making money.

Mar 11, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Blake71

I have the exact same problem. Only way to solve the problem for me was installing Google Chrome and use that as a browser when streaming from Disney+. I talked to Apple Support today, and they admitted that their browser had some issues when running Disney+. They suggested me to download Google Chrome, here and now, he said that Apple would fix the problem in the future. /Michael, Denmark

Mar 11, 2021 11:06 AM in response to Blake71

I see 250+ people clicking on the "I have this question too" button - to Blake's note.

But .. for documentation sake .. here are further details.

0) I'm on the latest and greatest O/S version 11.2.2 (20D80)

1) Reloading the web-page shows an annoying and persistent animated "loading" circular-arrow, right in the middle of the video.

2) To get rid of it, i have to quit Safari and restart again.

3) Note: DisneyPlus website's does a good job of bringing me back to the same scene, when I restart the browser.

4) And ..

.. all of the above will only last a few minutes.

5) Then "rinse and repeat" endlessly.

There are a couple of times, the memory warning is followed by the Safari window "restarting" (for lack of a better word) all by itself. That only "automates" step 2 above.

NOTE: This started after I very recently upgraded the MacOS. This problem did NOT exist FOR ME, with previous Mac-versions.

NOTE: I quit everything except Safari and Finder. Rebooted for good measure. Still exact same experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am going to try giobellato's suggestion, and will update after a few weeks.

Mar 18, 2021 6:17 AM in response to Blake71

At the moment while disneyplus.com continues to stack its process memory the only solution is to close tabs that are using the most memory (activity monitor > view > all processes > memory) that’s it.

safari reloads itself when the memory usage gets to 4.40 gigabytes!

hopefully Disney corrects this issue

Disney Plus uses significant memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.