Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Don't Emails Stay "Read" In Mail?

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) running Big Sur Version 11.2.2 with Mail Version 14.0 (3654.60.0.2.21).

On every other email client I've ever used, an email is marked as "read" if I click on it in my Inbox without having to double-click the email and open it. When I do the same thing in Mac Mail, a significant number of emails revert to being "unread" after a minute or so. There are some emails that I have to click on two or three times before Mac Mail accepts them as "read" and stops marking them as "unread". I don't understand this behavior. No other email client does this. I like to have a clean Inbox but this behavior makes it more difficult to determine how many new emails I've actually received.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 6:26 AM

What type of account is it? Perhaps it is something connected to the communication with the server.

I haven't seen any problems with read emails suddenly becoming unread.

Is it related to conversations? There is a preference to mark all messages read when opening a conversation.

It could be some corruption in the database. You could try Rebuilding the Mailbox (Mailbox menu).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2021 6:26 AM in response to OrrenBoyle

What type of account is it? Perhaps it is something connected to the communication with the server.

I haven't seen any problems with read emails suddenly becoming unread.

Is it related to conversations? There is a preference to mark all messages read when opening a conversation.

It could be some corruption in the database. You could try Rebuilding the Mailbox (Mailbox menu).

Mar 5, 2021 6:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply. The issue seems to be isolated to my Yahoo Mail account, but I will monitor the other email accounts that I've connected to Mail to see if the issue occurs with those accounts as well.

I'll check the settings you mentioned and will see if I can rebuild the database.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Open Mail
  2. Wait for messages to download
  3. Click on a message in the "All Inboxes" list
  4. Use the arrow keys to move to the next message in the list. Usually I start at the top and use the down arrow
  5. Keep moving down until all messages are read
  6. Watch the Inbox to see which messages are marked back to "unread"

Why Don't Emails Stay "Read" In Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.