Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage

Hello, so I bought 200 GB iCloud Storage, the problem is, my phone says Im still low on storage on my photos but when I look on the iCloud page it says Ive still god loads left. How can resolve this issue?

iPhone 7

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 4:27 AM

Hello, so I bought 200 GB iCloud Storage, the problem is, my phone says Im still low on storage on my photos

What is the exact error message? Does it say you are low on local storage on the iPhone or low on cloud storage?

Even if you are using iCloud Photos and have enabled the option "Optimise iPhone Storage" you need plenty of free local storage on the iPhone. How much storage is free locally on the iPhone?

The Photos.app needs the local storage for the optimised versions of the photos, roughly 10 % to 20% of the storage size needed in iCloud. So, if you have 100GB of photos and videos in iCloud, you will need 10GB of storage locally on the iPhone (this is just an estimate, it will depend on the format of the photos and videos). And when you want to view a photo enlarged, Photos needs enough free storage to download the full version of the iPhone.

Do you have the option "Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos > optimise iPhone Storage enabled"? If not, enable it and wait for the iPhone to free some storage. Also check, if there are music or video downloads, that you can delete, or apps, that you could uninstall temporarily. To check the local storage on your iPhone go to Settings > General > Storage.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2021 4:27 AM in response to mateusz212

Hello, so I bought 200 GB iCloud Storage, the problem is, my phone says Im still low on storage on my photos

What is the exact error message? Does it say you are low on local storage on the iPhone or low on cloud storage?

Even if you are using iCloud Photos and have enabled the option "Optimise iPhone Storage" you need plenty of free local storage on the iPhone. How much storage is free locally on the iPhone?

The Photos.app needs the local storage for the optimised versions of the photos, roughly 10 % to 20% of the storage size needed in iCloud. So, if you have 100GB of photos and videos in iCloud, you will need 10GB of storage locally on the iPhone (this is just an estimate, it will depend on the format of the photos and videos). And when you want to view a photo enlarged, Photos needs enough free storage to download the full version of the iPhone.

Do you have the option "Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos > optimise iPhone Storage enabled"? If not, enable it and wait for the iPhone to free some storage. Also check, if there are music or video downloads, that you can delete, or apps, that you could uninstall temporarily. To check the local storage on your iPhone go to Settings > General > Storage.

iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.