Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Not Visible

My Airport Extreme Time Capsule had been acting up but usually worked after a reset. Now I have installed a new Xfi modem. It came with a giant yellow patch cord which I have plugged into the Airport Extreme. But all it does is blink yellow. The Airport Utility does not show the Airport Extreme and says "No configured Airport base stations have been found." Time Capsule shows the backup disk. I have tried reloading base station updates but both that I have found 5.5 and 7.5 will not upload, so I suspect they might be outdated.

All suggestions welcome. I must be overlooking something. Please respond like you would explain to your mom. 😊

Thanks!

Cristina

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 7:02 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2021 8:12 AM in response to fudgenut

OK, thanks for the clarification on that.

Connect the Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the gateway to the "O" (circle of dots) port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule if it is not already on

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release.

If your Time Capsule is shaped like "tower", the reset button is located just to the right of the AC power cord socket. If the time Capsule is "flat", like a small white pizza box, the reset button is located at the far right of the back panel.

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

On your Mac.......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might say Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will automatically start up the setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks similar to the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name......Type in a short simple name for the WiFi network. Later, this will be turned off if you want to use the Xfi wireless to back up to the Time Capsule

Base Station Name.......Type in a device name for the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password......Type in a password for the Time Capsule

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and the setup wizard will configure the Time Capsule automatically.

When you see a message of Setup Complete, click Done

The Time Capsule should be visible in AirPort Utility

Should be a green light on the Time Capsule at this point

Post back to confirm on your progress and we will continue

Mar 5, 2021 10:03 AM in response to fudgenut

Nice work. If you don't need the WiFi service from the Time Capsule, and you plan to back up over the xFi wireless, you can use AirPort Utility to turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule.

Make sure that you are connected using the xFi wireless network

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Network Mode to Off

Click Update at the lower right of the window to save the new settings and let the Time Capsule restart

Mar 5, 2021 7:54 AM in response to fudgenut

If you have installed a new Xfi "modem".......(I suspect that is actually called a "gateway" by Xfi).......and it is set up and running......then......we can concentrate on the Time Capsule.

Unless you have already performed a factory default reset or hard reset on the Time Capsule, it is still programmed to connect to your "old" modem.....and it is still looking for your "old" modem, which is no longer there. So, the Time Capsule is lost and does not know what to do. It needs to be programmed with new settings to connect to your "new" modem.

Please confirm that you have the Xfi device set up and that it is operating correctly, since we cannot connect the Time Capsule until the new Xfi device has been installed and is working correctly.

Not sure how old the Time Capsule might be, but keep in mind that if it is 5+ years old, it has reached an age in which it is "suspect" in terms of the power supply and internal hard drive. So, it may continue to "act up" even if we can get it working with the new Xfi equipment.

Airport Extreme Not Visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.