Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur accessibility issues

Rhetorical question but do Apple really care at all about people with eye problems and accessibility ?

I am trying to adjust the fonts in my Mail toolbars and side toolbars and also the main top toolbar without success. there appears to be no way to select bold or change the font size in any toolbars or even slightly darken the colours. From what I can read this is deliberate by Apple.

For people like me it is essential that I create a more personalised desktop in these areas. This omission is appalling and ignorant unless anyone knows how I can do this

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 4:39 AM

In an effort to be constructive - consider sending Apple your Feedback for future developments on said issue.

12 replies

Mar 7, 2021 6:20 PM in response to 1topgazza

Hi 1topgazza,

Wondering if you have found and tried the accessibility features available on the Mac ?

You click on the little black Apple icon at extreme left of the top Menu Bar.

From the drop-down menu list that opens, choose "System Preferences"

If you click on Display you have some choices you can try out (see below).

Notice the slider near the bottom will change the display contrast.

There is a choice of Default or Large for the Menu Bar

Playing around with the various options can allow you to fine-tune your viewing options.

I hope this helps you improve your viewing experience.

Cheers

Mar 8, 2021 2:11 AM in response to brbo

Oh, I can find the various settings in Preferences thanks.

The problem is they are so diluted to almost be worthless. Apple have removed all the fine tuning you used to be able to do with fonts. My problem is not the text body in an email, for the best/worse example, but the format of the Mail page. On the left I have the usual mail folders and sub folders. The font used is too feint for me and needs to be bolder and slightly larger. I can barely read it as it is. But now, Apple have decided to remove the adjust meant for these areas. Same with headings and toolbars.

I know Apple policy has alway been to keep things simple but this is too far. Not everyone has the same eyesight or monitors. Especially in what is now a joke, the accessibility settings. They need to reimplement a more comprehensive and flexible font and colour settings, like they used to

Mar 9, 2021 3:36 PM in response to 1topgazza

I'm having the same problem. The most helpful setting is in System Preferences - Display. Set resolution to scaled and for my Thunderbolt Display I needed to select 1600 x 900 to make the menu bars etc. readable. Unfortunately it also distorted the mail and Safari windows so that the tools I needed were off screen. I needed to edit the tools to get it back to usable for me. It is getting better but with lots of work.

big sur accessibility issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.