Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stocks App not working on Mac OS Big Sur

Stocks app gives error "Stocks Unavailable. There may be a problem with the server or network. Please try again later". Tried reset identifier per previous support threads. Did not work. Created a new user as an Administrator..logged in as that user with my same iCloud settings and the stocks app worked (even carried over my previous stock selections. Logged back in as my Administrator account and the stock app stopped working again with the "Stocks Unavailable.." error message. This appears to be possibly something corrupt associated to the user account. Any suggestions?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 9:35 AM

I met the same issue and managed to solve it.

1. Open Finder, and click "Go" in top bar.
  2. Select "Go to folder" and input "/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Containers/com.apple.stocks/"
  3. Rename the "Data" folder to a backup folder.
  4. Lauch stocks again. It will create a new Data folder.

This happened to me after upgrade. But before upgrade I hard rebooted my computer. So, not sure if it's caused by hard reboot or upgrade. It seems that the app's configure files were broken. Rename "Data" directory let it create a new set of folders and configure files.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 9:35 AM in response to FloydFurillo

I met the same issue and managed to solve it.

1. Open Finder, and click "Go" in top bar.
  2. Select "Go to folder" and input "/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Containers/com.apple.stocks/"
  3. Rename the "Data" folder to a backup folder.
  4. Lauch stocks again. It will create a new Data folder.

This happened to me after upgrade. But before upgrade I hard rebooted my computer. So, not sure if it's caused by hard reboot or upgrade. It seems that the app's configure files were broken. Rename "Data" directory let it create a new set of folders and configure files.

Mar 19, 2021 7:00 AM in response to FloydFurillo

Thanks for testing this issue in safe mode.

Do you connect to VPN, or any other private networks? If so, disconnect from those, and connect to a Wi-Fi network.

Since you're not experiencing this in the new user account, this may be related to software opening during login. Check your login items with these steps: 

• Click the Apple menu > System Preferences. Choose Users & Groups. 
  • Select the Login Items tab. Remove any programs listed there. 

More information is here: Open items automatically when you log in on Mac

Have a great day!

Mar 8, 2021 8:03 AM in response to FloydFurillo

Hello FloydFurillo,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like there is an error when you try to access the Stocks app on your Mac. We're happy to assist.

You've done some great steps to test this issue. Please continue with restarting your Mac in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac 

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, completes a basic check of your startup disk, and clears cache. Open Stocks, and check for the error. Then restart to exit safe mode, and test.

Keep us updated on the result.

Cheers!

May 21, 2021 9:14 PM in response to TristanRastignac

You made my weekend! This solved my problem. In my case, it was also on this path just like FloydFurillo mentioned.

/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Containers/Stocks/

• Rename or delete Data file
  • Relaunch Stocks app once (to create Data folder; stocks seems empty, was in disbelief)
  • Relaunched again and it welcomed me with the intro screen! ...Celebrating now.

May 4, 2021 11:14 AM in response to FloydFurillo

There may be some 3rd party software interfering with the app. Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

May 21, 2021 8:38 PM in response to TristanRastignac

Thank you so much!!!..this worked for me..although the path to my data file was:

"/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Containers/Stocks/" instead of

"/Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Containers/com.apple.stocks/"

renamed the Data folder..restarted the Stocks app and it recreated the Data folder with the new configuration files..even had my previously selected stock watchlist!

Stocks App not working on Mac OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.