Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM upgrade

I tried to upgrade RAM but now laptop beeps twice & won’t turn on. I put the old RAM back & same thing. When I bought the RAM I made sure it was compatible but maybe something’s wrong? I had trouble removing the new RAM too, how would I know if I replaced it correctly?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 7:32 AM

Ging16 wrote:

I tried to upgrade RAM but now laptop beeps twice & won’t turn on. I put the old RAM back & same thing. When I bought the RAM I made sure it was compatible but maybe something’s wrong? I had trouble removing the new RAM too, how would I know if I replaced it correctly?

If the old RAM is not working as before— I suspect you do not have it well seated or you broke something.

You do not say what exact Mac this is...?

or

what exact RAM you are using?

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Ging16

Ging16 wrote:

If the old RAM is not working as before— I suspect you do not have it well seated or you broke something.

You do not say what exact Mac this is...?

or

what exact RAM you are using?

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

Mar 7, 2021 1:04 PM in response to Ging16

Ging16 wrote:

It’s a mid-2012 MacBook, I’m trying to upgrade to 8 gb RAM from macsales

First RAM Issues are typically three beeps not two as you mention in the OP this might be a concern.

If your Mac beeps during startup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768

Second you have to get back to terra firma before you start second guessing your new RAM if the specs are correct as you say OWC is very clear on appropriate spec if you payed attention.

Put the old RAM back in— if it worked before it should work again; this would be very telling and a definitive test to move forward with confidence.

I will add there are other known RAM issue with 2010-2012 MBP non-retina. I could post the links but it would immediately get deleted by the Apple mothership Overlords here; my hands are tied.

You can google on your own these issues and the resolve, which are not insurmountable:

—worn clips

— RAM banks slightly distorted/out of flat 

worse case scenario you only get one bank to come back to life, Then maybe you put all 8 GB in one bank only. Your Mac can run & recognize 16GB total. So not the end of the world, if you send back 4 + 4 in exchange for 8GB stick.

In your testing with old RAM (known to be good) you are testing both— RAM and Banks individually to establish the facts and narrow down the issue, then proceed with both banks full with this information.

Mar 7, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Ging16

Where did you get the new RAM modules. The only sources most of us here use are Crucial.com and MacSales.com (OWC). They test the modules in the Mac model they're designed for and will guarantee they work.

If you got the modules somewhere else I suggest you send them back and get replacements from one of the two sources I mentioned.

Mar 17, 2021 5:16 PM in response to Ging16

Ging16 wrote:

Okay I had one of them seated wrong so fixed that. The computer starts but now it says one slot is empty, I switched them to check & found which one doesn’t work. So I have a 4gb & the old 2gb. Could I have damaged the other 4gb? What can I do to fix it?

You have done your due diligence—you have it narrowed down to a bad RAM stick,

return it for one that works.

RAM upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.