Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups on my iPad and iPhone take up the most space on iCloud. Can I turn off and delete current backups, which this article says, and then turn backup back on and gain the extra storage?

Backups take up the most storage in iCloud on my iPad and iPhone. I understand from the article that I can turn off and delete those backups. But can I then turn backup back on, being at 0 in storage, and start fresh with more storage or if I turn it back on do all the old backups come back. I don’t think I am being clear. I am assuming that the large amount of space my backup is taking up in iCloud storage is from many backups not just the daily one. If I delete what is there does it take me back to 0 and it will be a while before I need to delete the multiple backups again?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 8:00 AM

Hello challengez,

It sounds like you want to know if you delete a backup and it turns off iCloud Backup, will you get the storage back and then you can turn on iCloud Backup back on.

Your related article, Manage your iCloud storage is the most accurate one on this topic. You can also check out the YouTube video from Apple Support How to upgrade and manage your iCloud Storage.

It is the case that you will regain the storage back from iCloud after deleting the backup and you can turn iCloud Backup back on. As you will not have a backup until the iCloud backup completes after turning it back on, you might want to consider making a backup to a computer before continuing with this process. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 8:00 AM in response to challengez

Hello challengez,

It sounds like you want to know if you delete a backup and it turns off iCloud Backup, will you get the storage back and then you can turn on iCloud Backup back on.

Your related article, Manage your iCloud storage is the most accurate one on this topic. You can also check out the YouTube video from Apple Support How to upgrade and manage your iCloud Storage.

It is the case that you will regain the storage back from iCloud after deleting the backup and you can turn iCloud Backup back on. As you will not have a backup until the iCloud backup completes after turning it back on, you might want to consider making a backup to a computer before continuing with this process. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

Backups on my iPad and iPhone take up the most space on iCloud. Can I turn off and delete current backups, which this article says, and then turn backup back on and gain the extra storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.