Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer compatibility

Hi. I am using a Mac Pro (early 2009) with various upgrades including a Solid State SATA drive that means it is working well. However the one thing I can no longer upgrade is the OS. I'm stuck on El Capitan version 10.11.6. My HP Officejet printer H470 will no longer work as I cannot download a new driver for this system. How do I check a new printer won't have the same issues?

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 10:40 AM

Try adding the printer using the Open Source toggle.

When you add the printer, and it is wired to the computer, and turned on, hold the Option key when you click on the + sign in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printers

If it doesn't appear, and hp.com/support doesn't have drivers for your operating system, you are going to need to find a comparable printer that does.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 10:40 AM in response to marniemac

Try adding the printer using the Open Source toggle.

When you add the printer, and it is wired to the computer, and turned on, hold the Option key when you click on the + sign in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printers

If it doesn't appear, and hp.com/support doesn't have drivers for your operating system, you are going to need to find a comparable printer that does.

Printer compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.