Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Old iPhoto Libraries

I have an old iPhoto Library from pre 2016. The library is in a Time Machine backup on an external hard disk. Pressing the alt key whilst opening Photos enables me to choose the library though ends with the library running through the process of being repaired and then an error message pops up saying this library can't be opened! Any ideas on how I can access the photos- there are about 10 years of photos and I'd really like to access them. Any help would be very much appreciated, Thank you

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 12:03 PM

Photos cannot open a library on a Time Machine volume.It will create problems with the file ownership, because Time Machine volumes have special security features.

Restore the iPhoto Library with Time Machine to a different volume, and then try to open the restored version with Photos.

Any volume, where you are keeping Photos Libraries should be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 12:03 PM in response to Carolyn_and_the_Maples

Photos cannot open a library on a Time Machine volume.It will create problems with the file ownership, because Time Machine volumes have special security features.

Restore the iPhoto Library with Time Machine to a different volume, and then try to open the restored version with Photos.

Any volume, where you are keeping Photos Libraries should be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Opening Old iPhoto Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.