You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages for Big Sur randomly auto-correcting things and placing stray quotation marks in the middle of words...

Updated to Big Sur and my Messages app has been acting funny ever since. It randomly doesn't sync with Messages on my iPhone, but also started underlining random words or phrases with red (as if it were misspelled or had bad grammar). I've ignored the red underlines, but noticed that after a few minutes, it will randomly auto-correct these words and insert random quotation marks (") in the middle of words! Other times, it will change words to something completely unreasonable (not even real words). It's almost like the red underlines are displaying (and then correcting words) on the wrong lines. Typing in other apps seems a big odd as well and I have a feeling this might be bigger than just Messages.

Is there a way to reset the auto-correct algorithms in Big Sur to see if that changes anything? Is there anything else I should try to reset? (I doubt things like PRAM would affect typing, but who knows.)

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 1:19 PM

Hi klockw243,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We'd like to look into this issue you're having with Messages and auto-correction. Which version of Big Sur do you have? You can find the version by going to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen, and choosing About This Mac.

Does this issue persist when booting in safe mode? Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know how it goes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2021 1:19 PM in response to klockw243

Hi klockw243,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We'd like to look into this issue you're having with Messages and auto-correction. Which version of Big Sur do you have? You can find the version by going to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen, and choosing About This Mac.

Does this issue persist when booting in safe mode? Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know how it goes.

Messages for Big Sur randomly auto-correcting things and placing stray quotation marks in the middle of words...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.