Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Master Password?

(Re: macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.2 - Mid 2015 )

Is it possible to create a master password on this MacBook Pro so I don't have to remember so many passwords? I simply cannot find a way to do this via the Utilities/Disk Utility method found on many Youtube videos.

Thank you in advance. :)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 10:14 AM

That is a great idea!

That is already built into Safari. You just need to enable it, and when you create and enter a new username and password, it will be encrypted on the keychain and can be recalled and autofilled whenever needed.

Apple technical article:

Change AutoFill preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

glossy article:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/03/password-autofill-mac/

As personal preference, I reserve filling credit card information to MANUAL, not auto. I don't want my credit card numbers stored on websites or on the computer. (Your feelings on the issue may vary.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 10:14 AM in response to LuckyLene

That is a great idea!

That is already built into Safari. You just need to enable it, and when you create and enter a new username and password, it will be encrypted on the keychain and can be recalled and autofilled whenever needed.

Apple technical article:

Change AutoFill preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

glossy article:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/03/password-autofill-mac/

As personal preference, I reserve filling credit card information to MANUAL, not auto. I don't want my credit card numbers stored on websites or on the computer. (Your feelings on the issue may vary.)

Mar 8, 2021 9:31 AM in response to LuckyLene

PS: I probably shouldn't have said "Master Password, to be confused with the login PW connected with FileVault. Not at all what I meant. My meaning was to reflect a PW used for getting into ALL websites that require a PWs, so that I only have to remember one for all sites.

I know that is possible ... one PW for all websites! How nice that would be!

Thanks again.

Mar 8, 2021 10:37 AM in response to LuckyLene

One subtle difference from what you asked for:

This does NOT provide ONE password for all websites, but it does relieve you of the chore of remembering all those passwords.. Each website can have a unique password, of your creation, OR the computer can both create and remember a tough password for you. That way, if one password is broken into, the others are still safe.

Master Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.