Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud syncing My Documents and Desktop

I have a 2009 IMac and and an 2017 iPhone. I just got an 8th generation iPad, and ever since I started using it the documents (i.e., pdfs of word docs, spreadsheets, etc.) that were the Documents folder and on the desktop of my iMac kept showing up on my iPad and iPhone. I couldn't find a setting to stop just My Documents and my Desktop folders from syncing across all devices. If I turn off iCloud altogether, I lose emails, bookmarks, messages on the mobile devices. I finally just deleted the documents that were backed up to iCloud, and then moved them to a back-up drive instead of the hard drive on my computer.

Is there an easier way to keep documents from downloading to the iPad and iPhone?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 7:39 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Blurbette!

We understand you want to prevent the documents on your iMac from syncing to your iPhone and iPad. We'd be happy to provide information to help you accomplish this.

Try disabling Desktop and Documents on your iMac: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Blurbette

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Blurbette!

We understand you want to prevent the documents on your iMac from syncing to your iPhone and iPad. We'd be happy to provide information to help you accomplish this.

Try disabling Desktop and Documents on your iMac: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Have a great day!

iCloud syncing My Documents and Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.