Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to my AppleTVs after upgrading MacOS to Big Sur [or, why does Apple support ignore these questions?]

The AppleTV appears in the screen menu, but fails to connect. Both on my new and old AppleTV. The phone wotks fine. I updated evwerything and tried all the complext reset PRAm etc instructions but to no help. Why is there no response from Apple?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 2:21 PM

First there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

That being said you've installed what most of the experienced users here consider akin to malware, CleanMyMac and, from the same developer, Gemini 2.

Uninstall both according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For the MacPaw software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains gemini

3 - Names contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Also Little Snitch could be interfering with the communication between your Mac and Apple TV. At the least it will slow system and application performance. To test it uninstall it completely and see if there's any improvement.

The Cisco VPN is reported as using a a lot of CPU resources. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless. Public VPN's are anything but private.  If it's required for work then make sure you have the latest version.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 2:21 PM in response to Ola_M

First there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

That being said you've installed what most of the experienced users here consider akin to malware, CleanMyMac and, from the same developer, Gemini 2.

Uninstall both according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For the MacPaw software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains gemini

3 - Names contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Also Little Snitch could be interfering with the communication between your Mac and Apple TV. At the least it will slow system and application performance. To test it uninstall it completely and see if there's any improvement.

The Cisco VPN is reported as using a a lot of CPU resources. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless. Public VPN's are anything but private.  If it's required for work then make sure you have the latest version.

Mar 8, 2021 2:34 PM in response to Ola_M

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Mar 9, 2021 1:37 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, I got some clues by running this app, but it did not help to remove e.g. Duetdisplay. Can there be an issue that my wifi router is a Time Capsule with the Apple TV connected by ethernet? Not for the iPhone, since it also connects the same way. But this happened only after Big Sur upgrade, sp perhaps Apple has negliged their abandoned routers?

Mar 10, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, I was impressed! I removed everything about Malwarebytes, CleanmyMac and Gemini, resterted and now the AppleTV connection is back! Should have done it one-by-one i guess, but now I can try putting som back and see. Is there some way I can remove my log file post? I dont like leaving so much info public.

Cannot connect to my AppleTVs after upgrading MacOS to Big Sur [or, why does Apple support ignore these questions?]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.