Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won’t recognize Nekmit charger

As the title states.

Charger description from Amazon “Nekmit USB C Charger, Thin Flat 30W Dual Port Fast Wall Charger with 18W Power Delivery PD 3.0 and 12W USB Port for iPhone 12/12 Mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max, Galaxy, Pixel, iPad Pro, AirPods Pro and More”

My iPad is an iPad Air 2020

I have tried a number of oem usb c and after market cords. If I use a usb c to lighting and plug my iPhone 12 in it works fine. If I use usb a to usb c it will work with the iPad. And the iPad charges fine on the OEM 20W brick.

I have tried two different Nekmit bricks and it’s the same with both. I want this to work as I need a flat brick.

Thanks

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 3:51 PM

Amazon Choice means nothing more than the product meets certain marketing criteria. It is not a mark of compatibility or suitability. Had the Power Adapter carried an MFi approval (i.e., Made for iPad/iPhone), that would be something else entirely.

Contrary to popular belief, Power Adapters are not universal. The USB bus, in particular Power Delivery Protocol, exchanges specific signalling between Source and Load devices - over which power requirements are negotiated. If the Power Adapter and load cannot negotiate a common power profile, either no power will be supplied, or the Power Adapter will fall-back to standard 5V USB power.

Different devices, such as iPhone and iPad, have considerably different power needs.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 3:51 PM in response to robeans

Amazon Choice means nothing more than the product meets certain marketing criteria. It is not a mark of compatibility or suitability. Had the Power Adapter carried an MFi approval (i.e., Made for iPad/iPhone), that would be something else entirely.

Contrary to popular belief, Power Adapters are not universal. The USB bus, in particular Power Delivery Protocol, exchanges specific signalling between Source and Load devices - over which power requirements are negotiated. If the Power Adapter and load cannot negotiate a common power profile, either no power will be supplied, or the Power Adapter will fall-back to standard 5V USB power.

Different devices, such as iPhone and iPad, have considerably different power needs.

Mar 8, 2021 3:21 PM in response to robeans

Being a non-OEM (third party) Power Adapter, if it doesn’t work with iPad - but iPad charges as expected with an Apple Power Adapter and cable - the only logical explanation is that the Power Adapter is not suitable.

As you have confirmed that the iPad operates as expected with Apple components, Apple Support will not be able to assist. Your only course of action is to seek assistance from the manufacturer or retailer.

Mar 8, 2021 3:27 PM in response to robeans

thanks

It’s hard to believe that it can charge my iPhone via usb c to lighting and the iPad via usb a to usb c but only usb c doesn’t work. This product was an Amazon choice with 79% 5 star reviews (for what it’s worth). I was hoping that there’s is something fixable that would cause usb c to not work.

iPad won’t recognize Nekmit charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.