Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos duplication when importing from iPhone to Mac

Hi, I have the same issue as the one written here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250848733

i tried to do what was mentioned in the comments but the problem still remains.

It seems that the Photo software considers some photos as new but they have already been imported before... it often occurs with photos from apps like WhatsApp/VSCO/Instagram.

everytime i try to import photos, I have to choose which one is new which takes time.. I once tried to import everything but those photo reappear the next time.

could you please help me ?

i have MacBook Air 11.2.2 (photo 6.0) and iPhone 12 updated

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 1:32 AM

Have you already tried to reinstall all apps, that are creating duplicates on import? At least a previous version of WhatsApp had a problem, that prevented photos from deleting them and caused duplicates.

Another known reason for photos being duplicated is a format conversion or syncing with iCloud. The duplicate detection in Photos on your Mac is comparing the file attributes. Only exactly identical files are considered as duplicates - the filename, the creation date and modification date need to be the same. If you are downloading converted or synced files from the iPhone, they will appear as new files. the duplicate detection will be disabled in the following situations:

• If the Setting > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC is set to "Most Compatible", because files will be converted to JPEGs before downloading to the Mac, while the originals in a different format remain on the iPhone. Disable any format conversion, for example: (Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support)
  • If any cloud syncing is enabled (Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos) - do not use iCloud Photos or My Photo Stream, if you do not want to have to check for duplicates manually.

Any app, that is keeping the photos online and you have to download the photos again, when you view them, will create duplicates, if you have to download the same photo several times. overtime you view the photo in the App and it is saving a copy in Photos, you will create a duplicate, when you download the photos manually to your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 1:32 AM in response to anneiphoneuser

Have you already tried to reinstall all apps, that are creating duplicates on import? At least a previous version of WhatsApp had a problem, that prevented photos from deleting them and caused duplicates.

Another known reason for photos being duplicated is a format conversion or syncing with iCloud. The duplicate detection in Photos on your Mac is comparing the file attributes. Only exactly identical files are considered as duplicates - the filename, the creation date and modification date need to be the same. If you are downloading converted or synced files from the iPhone, they will appear as new files. the duplicate detection will be disabled in the following situations:

• If the Setting > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC is set to "Most Compatible", because files will be converted to JPEGs before downloading to the Mac, while the originals in a different format remain on the iPhone. Disable any format conversion, for example: (Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support)
  • If any cloud syncing is enabled (Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos) - do not use iCloud Photos or My Photo Stream, if you do not want to have to check for duplicates manually.

Any app, that is keeping the photos online and you have to download the photos again, when you view them, will create duplicates, if you have to download the same photo several times. overtime you view the photo in the App and it is saving a copy in Photos, you will create a duplicate, when you download the photos manually to your Mac.

Photos duplication when importing from iPhone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.