Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple CarPlay will only work with one USB cord

Not sure why this happens but I have an old frayed USB cord I have been using with my apple car play and when I bought a new USB cord to replace the old one, it won't work. I have now tried several new USB cords and it will only work with the old one. Anyone else have this problem??

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 2:50 PM

That really didn’t help my issue. I want to use a new usb cord and it doesn’t allow this. Only works with the old cord. Seems odd that you couldn’t use any usb cord.

3 replies

Mar 10, 2021 4:13 PM in response to Spepper1013

Hi Spepper1013,

We understand you're having trouble connecting with CarPlay. We're happy to offer some guidance.

If CarPlay won't connect, you can try these steps:

Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps — checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.

2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.

3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 

4. Make sure that Siri is on.

5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.

6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you're still unable to connect to the CarPlay system, you'd want to contact Apple Support directly for assistance: Get Support

We hope this helps. Take care!

Apr 7, 2021 3:29 PM in response to Spepper1013

Spepper1013 wrote:

That really didn’t help my issue. I want to use a new usb cord and it doesn’t allow this. Only works with the old cord. Seems odd that you couldn’t use any usb cord.

Not odd at all. Some USB cords are for charging only and do not pass data. Other pass data but do not charge. It’s always best to use only USB cords that are certified ‘MFI’ Made For iOS or use Apple branded cords. Car manufacturer’s USB sockets can be wonky too.

Apple CarPlay will only work with one USB cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.