Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Ethernet A1433 not working Big Sur

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Early 2015. I two days ago I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur 11.2.2. As the title indicates, the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor is no longer working.

Has anyone else experienced this - or solved it?

I know the cable and ethernet port at working. I don't know if the dongle or thunderbolts on the laptop are faulty. I can test the dongle with another computer later in the week.

Happy to try anything - that keeps security integrity - and would rate my skill at intermediate.

Thanks in advance for any advice

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 5:11 AM

Hi Moon J,

Thanks I have solved my problem. It appears I didn't have the Thunderbolt Ethernet service, only the Thunderbolt Bridge. I was not able to add Thunderbolt Ethernet as a service using Big Sur 11.2.3. My 'solution' was as follows:

1) Unplug all the Thunderbolt devices from the MacBook

2) Remove all the Thunderbolt services from the Network pane in Settings

3) Restart the Macbook

4) Reconnect the Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle

5) This created the Thunderbolt Ethernet service and I was able to connect.

As said, I am using a MacBook Pro on Big Sur.

I tried the dongle on a Mac Mini running Mojave and again the dongle wasn't recognised. I had to go into the Network Pane and add Thunderbolt Ethernet as a service - where it was listed as an option (unlike in Big Sur).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 5:11 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi Moon J,

Thanks I have solved my problem. It appears I didn't have the Thunderbolt Ethernet service, only the Thunderbolt Bridge. I was not able to add Thunderbolt Ethernet as a service using Big Sur 11.2.3. My 'solution' was as follows:

1) Unplug all the Thunderbolt devices from the MacBook

2) Remove all the Thunderbolt services from the Network pane in Settings

3) Restart the Macbook

4) Reconnect the Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle

5) This created the Thunderbolt Ethernet service and I was able to connect.

As said, I am using a MacBook Pro on Big Sur.

I tried the dongle on a Mac Mini running Mojave and again the dongle wasn't recognised. I had to go into the Network Pane and add Thunderbolt Ethernet as a service - where it was listed as an option (unlike in Big Sur).

Mar 10, 2021 4:21 PM in response to mpressive

Hey there mpressive,

It sounds like you're having some trouble with your Thunderbolt adapter. Testing the adapter using another device can help isolate the issue to the adapter itself. If you continue to run into issues with the adapter you can reach out to Apple Support directly to help explore replacement options.

If a Thunderbolt device doesn’t work with Mac

Get Support

Warm regards.

Thunderbolt Ethernet A1433 not working Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.