Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple thunderbolt to gigabit adapter not functioning

I recently updated my 2015 MacBook Pro to Big Sur 11.2.1and my non-branded gigabit Ethernet adapter stopped functioning. Checking that vendor support they said they did not support Big Sur. In desperation I bought the Apple branded Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and that didn't work either.

A quick search of Apple turned up little useful info so a wider search I cam across info relating to the AX88179 device incompatibility with Big Sur so I checked my hardware System Information and found the following hardware device listed for my MacBook gigabit ethernet port AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

So it would appear that the Apple brand thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter is not supported in my MacBook Pro 2015 running Big Sur 11.2.1

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know of a fix?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 4:16 AM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2021 4:32 AM in response to kevinbuddy

kevinbuddy wrote:

I recently updated my 2015 MacBook Pro to Big Sur 11.2.1and my non-branded gigabit Ethernet adapter stopped functioning. Checking that vendor support they said they did not support Big Sur. In desperation I bought the Apple branded Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and that didn't work either.

A quick search of Apple turned up little useful info so a wider search I cam across info relating to the AX88179 device incompatibility with Big Sur so I checked my hardware System Information and found the following hardware device listed for my MacBook gigabit ethernet port AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

So it would appear that the Apple brand thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter is not supported in my MacBook Pro 2015 running Big Sur 11.2.1

If you raise the flag, Apple can fix a KEXT issue or push a Update driver.

Not the first time a macOsS update broke compatibility here <AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet>

You can—

Feb 11, 2021 4:40 AM in response to kevinbuddy

kevinbuddy wrote:

You can poke around, and see if any of this it is applicable—

https://www.asix.com.tw/en/product/USBEthernet/Super-Speed_USB_Ethernet/AX88179

https://plugable.com/blogs/news/asix-ethernet-adapters-unsupported-on-macos-big-sur

Apple thunderbolt to gigabit adapter not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.