Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

newsd chewing through many megabytes of downloads per second

I am traveling in an RV and am using a (metered) cellular connection for Internet connectivity. I noticed through a utility (iStat Menus) that newsd is downloading between 5MB and 10MB *PER SECOND* in the background. This is despite the fact that the News app isn't running.

I have discovered that the official solution to this is to disable News syncing by unchecking "News" under System Preferences -> Apple ID -> iCloud.

However, despite doing this, I still occasionally see newsd download dozens of megabytes of data.

I find it outrageous that this "just happens" in the background, with no knowledge of the end user, when a not-so-insignificant percentage of the population has Internet plans with data caps and/or a cost associated with each gigabyte of data downloaded.

One fellow Big Sur user discovered that the News app and its associated background daemon (or should I say data pig?) had downloaded 375+GB in less than a week!

I also find it incredibly annoying that there is no way to specify that a given network connection is metered and should therefore be used judiciously.

If there is anything else I can do to remedy this, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 7:07 PM

After receiving a few suggestions to try Little Snitch, I am absolutely amazed at the amount of network chatter that Apple's background services are responsible for.

But that is an outstanding utility - and my data caps are safe and sound.

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 10, 2021 11:48 AM in response to winturmute

And despite News syncing being turned off on every Apple device I own, I just now caught newsd burning through between 0.5 and 1.6 megabytes PER SECOND before I killed the connection! I just paid a small fortune to buy another 30GB of data on my cellular connection, and newsd is chewing through it like a bowl of salted nuts!

What is going on here?

Also, syncdefaultsd is periodically maxing out whatever Internet connection I have.

Hopefully I can find a way to block all of this nonsense.

newsd chewing through many megabytes of downloads per second

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.