Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPHONE RESET

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY AFTER AN HOUR OF ERASING ALL CONTENT FROM MY IPHONE AND RESTORING IT AS NEW IT THEN WANTS AND NEEDS ME TO INPUT THE PAST PASSCODE FOR THE IPHONE IN ORDER TO REINSTALL ALL PAST SETTINGS AND PASSWORDS!! THIS DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF RESET!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:11 PM

If you have followed these instructions→What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support it should not ask for a passcode to set up the phone as new or to restore a previous backup.

If you made an encrypted backup you will need to enter the backup password, however. That is not the phone’s passcode.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 12:11 PM in response to MSSHA660o

If you have followed these instructions→What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support it should not ask for a passcode to set up the phone as new or to restore a previous backup.

If you made an encrypted backup you will need to enter the backup password, however. That is not the phone’s passcode.

Mar 9, 2021 12:45 PM in response to MSSHA660o

Your phone has not been hacked and is not embedded with malware. Your iCloud ID may have been compromised. If that is the case see→If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

If you follow these instructions it will not ask for your past passcode→Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Mar 9, 2021 12:10 PM in response to MSSHA660o

First, please stop yelling. Using all capitals makes your post appear that you are. We are not Apple employees, just fellow Apple-product users. Yelling at us will not get you any assistance any sooner.

The reason you are being asked for a passcode is that because you want to restore your prior settings. It's as simple as that.

Mar 9, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

THANKS FOR THAT INFORMATION IT IS JUST AS I REMEMBER IT TO BE, I HAVE HAD AN IPHONE SINCE NUMBER THREE, I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE BEEN HACKED AND MY IPHONE IS IMBEDDED WITH MALWARE SO I HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTING TO FACTORY RESET TWICE BUT AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE IT KEEPS INSISTING ON MY INPUTTING THE PAST PASSCODE USED TO UNLOCK THE PHONE

FYI I HAVE BEEN HACKED THROUGH WHAT WAS ONCE KNOWN AS ICLOUD ALIAS THEN THROUGH THE ACCESSIBILITY APP WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET RID OF THE MALWARE

IPHONE RESET

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.