Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time report

Within the last week my iPhone started reporting that screen time was active 24 hours a day. I checked the activity log and it says an app with the safari icon called “Bit.ly” has been active for over a week straight. I tried setting a usage limit for the app but it doesn’t work. There is no such app on my phone. Is this a virus I need to look at getting removed from my phone or is there a more innocent explanation?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 6:08 PM

Hello, lakandalawa.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’ve noticed some unusual usage in Screen Time on your iPhone, and you’re curious about the cause. 

From your screenshot, we can see the bit.ly reference. If you notice the icon next to it, you can see that the app being used is Safari. Bitly is link shortener, so you may have a tab open in Safari that has a website that was accessed by a bit.ly shortened link. It does’t necessarily have to have originated from your iPhone, it could be a Bitly shortened link that you clicked on elsewhere. 

This article explains:

What is Bitly? – Bitly Support

Try clearing the Safari history on your iPhone, then check to see if you have Background App Refresh enabled at Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 6:08 PM in response to lakandalawa

Hello, lakandalawa.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’ve noticed some unusual usage in Screen Time on your iPhone, and you’re curious about the cause. 

From your screenshot, we can see the bit.ly reference. If you notice the icon next to it, you can see that the app being used is Safari. Bitly is link shortener, so you may have a tab open in Safari that has a website that was accessed by a bit.ly shortened link. It does’t necessarily have to have originated from your iPhone, it could be a Bitly shortened link that you clicked on elsewhere. 

This article explains:

What is Bitly? – Bitly Support

Try clearing the Safari history on your iPhone, then check to see if you have Background App Refresh enabled at Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

Screen time report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.