Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen freezes in Big Sur 11.2.3

I updated today to Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3. Since the update, any mouse I use only works intermittently between freezes. I've tried with various combinations of my Macbook Air connected to an external monitor/mouse, no monitor but with mouse or Magic Trackpad, and with nothing connected and using only the built-in track pad. I can type or move the mouse around for 30 seconds to a minute, then everything freezes and I can't do anything. Any suggestions for fixing this? Even typing this message has been stop and start.

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 2:12 PM

I am not sure which Mac you have since you did not mention it. I will therefore attempt to answer your question in the best manner that I can. I will assume that you do not have a M1 based Mac.

You may want to try some basic troubleshooting techniques and see whether that resolves things.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 2:12 PM in response to lisainrtp

I am not sure which Mac you have since you did not mention it. I will therefore attempt to answer your question in the best manner that I can. I will assume that you do not have a M1 based Mac.

You may want to try some basic troubleshooting techniques and see whether that resolves things.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Apr 2, 2021 12:30 AM in response to lisainrtp

found something that might be the caused...

So happen i have two unit of Macpro 13", one unit is from manufactured in 2019 with touch bar on keyboard and another was manufactured 2020. Both were installed with Big Sur OS and the 2019 unit has never freeze with whatever applications running. On the other hand the 2020 unit keep freezing if i do open Safari or Chorme Browser. Well, what i want to mentioned here is, the 2019 CPU processor was made of Apple M1 chip whre 2020 was Intel CPU. I do not know if this is the main caused but that is my finding....

Please provide your view...

Eugene

May 20, 2021 6:58 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

I have same problem with M1 (MacBook Pro 2020) with macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

So mouse or touchpad freezes for 2 sec periodically. It may happen more often by switching from one application to another or switching to another desktop. Everything worked well until the last update.

I use this laptop for business, losing any file would be a disaster for me.

Do you still recommend steps you listed?

Is there a risk of losing any file?

Thanks,

Darko

Screen freezes in Big Sur 11.2.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.